Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
dtc

Default Constant Flashing: Win7 + Dell 2009W + Dell XPS 14

Hello,

I have a problem where my monitor is constantly flashing when I'm connected using this USB 3.0 adapter.

Seriously... it's constantly flashing!

I have a Dell XPS 14 with Windows 7. The monitor is a Dell 2009W. I have the latest drivers for the DisplayLink device as well as all updates from Windows update.

How can I debug this?

Thanks!
dtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Please post the logs as described here:
http://displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
dtc

Hello James,

Thanks for responding. Attached is the log. Could you please analyze and provide the next steps on how I can resolve my issue with constant flashing?
Attached Files
File Type: zip L-SJC-00717290_20121203_093427.zip (857.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Wim

Not sure what is wrong from a first look at the logs. Could you try updating the Intel USB 3.0 host controller, as I think the latest version is 1.0.6.

Are you using an external video output of the laptop, eg the HDMI port? Does the same problem occur if you just use the laptop screen and the DisplayLink adapter?

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
dtc

I updated the Intel USB 3.0 host controller - there was no improvement.

The set up I have on my laptop is as follows:
1. MiniDisplay Port - Connected to Dell 2007FP @ 1600x1200
2. USB 3.0 - DisplayLink - Connected to Dell 2009W @ 1680x1050

Here is a video that demonstrates the flashing problem that I'm experiencing. (If I play this video that I created on the Displaylink managed monitor, it flashes continuously!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLOsUf8-0s0&feature=youtu.be

If I switch the monitor connections - the problem changes. Instead of the Displaylink managed monitor flashing, it will continually crash Desktop Window Manager about once per hour. That's a pretty awful experience as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc View Post
I updated the Intel USB 3.0 host controller - there was no improvement.

The set up I have on my laptop is as follows:
1. MiniDisplay Port - Connected to Dell 2007FP @ 1600x1200
2. USB 3.0 - DisplayLink - Connected to Dell 2009W @ 1680x1050

Here is a video that demonstrates the flashing problem that I'm experiencing. (If I play this video that I created on the Displaylink managed monitor, it flashes continuously!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLOsUf8-0s0&feature=youtu.be

If I switch the monitor connections - the problem changes. Instead of the Displaylink managed monitor flashing, it will continually crash Desktop Window Manager about once per hour. That's a pretty awful experience as well.
Thanks for the video... This is a different problem to the one I was expecting. It looks like the monitor is losing video sync with the video output of the dock. As far as the host software is concerned, it's sending the picture to the screen, but the video signal from our chip to the monitor looks to be on the edge, so it loses sync every few seconds.

Is it possible to try a different cable or a different video output or monitor to see if the issue solves?

As for DWM.exe continually crashing, could you send the logs from this state?

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
dtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Thanks for the video... This is a different problem to the one I was expecting. It looks like the monitor is losing video sync with the video output of the dock. As far as the host software is concerned, it's sending the picture to the screen, but the video signal from our chip to the monitor looks to be on the edge, so it loses sync every few seconds.

Is it possible to try a different cable or a different video output or monitor to see if the issue solves?
The set up that I ended up having was that I swapped the two monitors. The (wide) monitor that was blinking in the video is now connected to my laptop via Mini-DP, while the other (square) monitor is connected via the displaylink device.

I tried swapping cables, tried using a Dual link dvi cable - none of that made a difference.

I'd much rather that the displaylink be connected to the square monitor. Any other debugging ideas?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
dtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc View Post
The set up that I ended up having was that I swapped the two monitors. The (wide) monitor that was blinking in the video is now connected to my laptop via Mini-DP, while the other (square) monitor is connected via the displaylink device.

I tried swapping cables, tried using a Dual link dvi cable - none of that made a difference.

I'd much rather that the displaylink be connected to the square monitor. Any other debugging ideas?
Many, many, many months later... this is still a problem. Any ideas?
Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
jhargis1012

dtc, I think I'm experiencing a similar issue (although I couldn't view your Youtube video to see if it looked just like what I'm seeing on my setup). Horrible screen flash. My setup is similar in that I have one display connected through MiniDisplayPort to my PC and a second display connected via a DisplayLink USB replicator.
jhargis1012 is offline   Reply With Quote