Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
jblues1969

Default It is time to address this Mouse Lag issue, Displaylink

I had a Toshiba Dynadock 3.0. It had incurable mouse lag, so I scrapped it.
Now I have a Kensington USB 3.0 dock, and it has the same issue.

I've searched high and low and Displaylink always says "try the latest drivers". Well, I'm on 7.2 M1 and it's as bad or worse than ever.

Time to fix this, Displaylink. Make this an issue and get one of your developers to specifically fix this issue. Your software is buggy and this is a recurring problem for many of your customers and you have not taken the problem seriously up to this point in my opinion.

I want to use two monitors with my Sony laptop and I've spent $300 bucks on two docks trying to get this problem to go away.
jblues1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Wim

So we are looking at this issue and any time we see this internally, it is investigated as a priority. However I believe people are seeing different issues and describing them all as "lag".

Since 7.2 M1, there are 2 known fixes for mouse lag (or more correctly - momentary screen freezing for about a second). These are in the latest 7.4 beta on our Windows 8.1 forum here:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61769

Can you try this, as there are known fixes in this that might help your use case. If not, can you post your logs?

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
jblues1969

The new drivers work just like the other drivers. It works great right up until you resume from the system being asleep. Then the lag starts happening again.

I don't think your assumption about screen freeze being described as mouse lag is correct. The lag issue does not happen with the laptop's touchpad, and it would if it were screen freezing. Also, when the driver is first installed, the mouse quits working altogether until a reboot occurs, which indicates to me that you are stepping on resources being used by other USB devices with your driver.

dxdiag file attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DxDiag.zip (9.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblues1969 View Post
The new drivers work just like the other drivers. It works great right up until you resume from the system being asleep. Then the lag starts happening again.

I don't think your assumption about screen freeze being described as mouse lag is correct. The lag issue does not happen with the laptop's touchpad, and it would if it were screen freezing.
OK - then this is not the screen freezing issue described in other threads. It does sound like USB problems. However our driver does nothing to trample over other device's USB communication. It is all standard USB data and passes the USB-IF compliance.

The most common reasons for the problem you are seeing are:

1. USB 3.0 interference on wireless mice. See this FAQ. I'll assume you are not using a wireless mouse, but this might help someone else.
2. If you are on Windows 7, out of date USB 3.0 Host controller drivers can cause random problems like this. The latest host controller drivers we know about are linked in this article.
3. The Toshiba and Kensington docks (of which you have tried) both use the same USB 3.0 root hub. This is a hub from VIA technologies and some early firmware versions in these hubs had issues on Windows 8. Our customers have been offering USB 3.0 hub updates, for example Toshiba are offering v9.82 hub firmware on their download site.

I believe one of the solutions above should solve the mouse lag you are seeing, and are outside DisplayLink's technology, although it affects your experience. The fact it does not happen with the mouse tracking pad shows it is not with the graphics updates or sending updates to our chip.

Wim
Old 07-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
jblues1969

I've given up on USB docks and I'm returning the Kensington. It's too bad that I waited so long and couldn't return the Toshiba. I've solved the issue by buying a USB 3.0 graphics adapter and a USB 3.0 hub.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Wim

Which graphics adapter did you buy?

Wim