Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #31
skynerd

Default HP notebook freezes

I am encountering the same freeze issue (HP Pavilion dm4, with HP dock); I installed version 6, and although the monitor does look better, unfortunately the freezing still occurs.
skynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #32
nydamon

FYI, exact same problem here.
Windows 7
HP Pavilion DV6
using the new 6.0 driver

Total freeze, no errors. Must be hard rebooted.

The dock is worthless if this happens every hour

Last edited by nydamon; 09-07-2011 at 04:39 PM.
nydamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #33
Wim

Hi All

OK - we really want to get to the bottom of this, but having tried many times, cannot reproduce this freezing in our labs.

Reading all the posts, it seems limited to HP laptops, using this port replicator:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/c...Y847AA%2523ABA

Are there any users finding the freezing NOT using this setup?

Once we can reproduce this, it should be possible to diagnose where the issue is, but without reproduction, we cannot remotely diagnose this.

Is it possible any users on here have a system that they could ship to DisplayLink for us to investigate? I'm thinking of corporations mainly, who might be able to provide a setup for us.

Please let me know if this is possible so we cn find out what is causing this serious issue.

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #34
Wim

The initial post seemed to imply this started with v5.6 M1 software. Could users try downgrading to v5.6 or v5.5 M2 available here:

http://www.displaylink.com/support/d...s_releases.php

And see if the freeze still continues? Might giev some clues as to what changed in our software to introduce it.

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #35
skynerd

Ive rolled my driver back to 5.6; will let you know results.

thanks.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #36
jaywill80

Default HP 8440p i5 M520 2.GHz w/ USB 2.0 Docking station lockups/freezes!

This started to occur all of sudden after our Windows 7 roll out. (Of course it didn't occur once during our pilot deployment.) As other have stated users will laptops will completely lock up and are unresponsive. So it’s impossible to provide any debug information. The only error that is recorded in the event viewer is unexpected shutdown. From what I have seen the issue seems to occur when using IE 8, Power Point 2010, in house app that uses .NET

The hardware model that we are using is HP 8440p i5 M520 2.4Ghz running Windows 7 Pro. The docking station model is HP USB 2.0 http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.as...AA&pagemode=ca

The display core software installed is: 5.6.31870.0 driver that is installed is version: 5.6.31854.0 this driver was installed when checking the display link updates from the GUI.
When checking the site for the latest driver 5.6.31548 is currently available for download? Not sure why the driver on the site has a lower revision number then what I’m currently running? Can someone please let me know what the most current driver version is?

Tried changing power settings in Windows 7 to High Performance and disabling USB sleep. This seemed to help some users but, there are still users that are having this intermittent freezing issue.

Also another thing that is worth noting is I updated the NVIIDA graphics driver to 280.26 for 2 users that were having this issue and it seems to have stopped the freezing. However, it’s only been a few days for one user and about 7 days for the other since the upgrade but, so far so good. However, not sure why this would have fixed the issue? Conflict between the display link and NVIDIA driver? Anyway Keeping my fingers crossed.

Any additional insight into possible causes the freezing issue would very be helpful.

Any questions please let me know.
Thanks

Last edited by jaywill80; 09-08-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: No Tittle
jaywill80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #37
jimAH

I'd suggest the following:

If you haven't done so already post your logs:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269
Also post the detailed system information output from the Windows info tool:
(Select Start, select Search programs and files, type in msinfo32.exe and hit Enter to locate it then Enter again to run it and save the output as a text file)

Also (to all those affected):

When did you first notice a lockup?
Was anything else connected to your dock at the time of the lockup? (USB peripherals? Ethernet?)
If so what make & model USB peripheral are they and what kind of ethernet is connected? 100Mb/GigE?

Does it happen without DisplayLink software installed?
Does it happen with DisplayLink software installed but the dock disconnected?

Do you have the latest BIOS installed?
Do you have the latest graphics drivers installed?

What Windows updates have recently been installed on your system?

As the guy mentions the only way to really progress this is to get a failing system to DisplayLink so they can debug it when it does fail.
Any volunteers?
jimAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #38
skynerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by skynerd View Post
Ive rolled my driver back to 5.6; will let you know results.

thanks.
I rolled my driver back to 5.5 (rather than 5.6); I did encounter one problem with the system simply becoming unstable, but did not encounter the freezes that I was experiencing.

I have now removed all DisplayLink software. Im using an HDMI cable to connect my monitor. My monitor connects directly to my computer, and not through the dock, although I am using the HP dock for other connections.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #39
skynerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by skynerd View Post
I rolled my driver back to 5.5 (rather than 5.6); I did encounter one problem with the system simply becoming unstable, but did not encounter the freezes that I was experiencing.

I have now removed all DisplayLink software. Im using an HDMI cable to connect my monitor. My monitor connects directly to my computer, and not through the dock, although I am using the HP dock for other connections.
I encountered the freeze with the DisplayLink software removed; in viewing device manager, there is a lisitng under Other Devices for an Adriatic USB Dock, which I have now disabled (no drivers for the dock are listed).
Old 09-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #40
nydamon

I also rolled my driver back to 5.5. Crash happened 2 hours in

No good.
nydamon is offline   Reply With Quote