Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release

Old 09-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
greenkiwi

Default Blinking & No Rotation- B3 & OS X 10.7.1

Hello,

I have the MonoPrice USB2 Display adapter that goes to 2048x1152. I have it connected via DVI to a Dell 20" monitor. I've installed the software and everything works.

After about 3-5 minutes, the screen starts blinking on and off.... on and off... on and off. I sometime have a crome window with Gmail loaded on that monitor, if that might cause issues.

I also cannot get rotation to work with the default mac software, so I am currently using SwitchResX to allow for rotation. (though it blinked even more rotated, so I have unrotated my display.)

A final problem that I've see is that when switching spaces it sometimes goes blank.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkiwi View Post
Hello,

I have the MonoPrice USB2 Display adapter that goes to 2048x1152. I have it connected via DVI to a Dell 20" monitor. I've installed the software and everything works.

After about 3-5 minutes, the screen starts blinking on and off.... on and off... on and off. I sometime have a crome window with Gmail loaded on that monitor, if that might cause issues.

I also cannot get rotation to work with the default mac software, so I am currently using SwitchResX to allow for rotation. (though it blinked even more rotated, so I have unrotated my display.)

A final problem that I've see is that when switching spaces it sometimes goes blank.
Could you please the debug tool here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269 and post the output file? Thanks
Old 09-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
greenkiwi

Will do. Do you want me to get it into the "blink" state and then grab the info?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
greenkiwi

Here's the log, thanks for the help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLinkInformation.zip (686.8 KB, 1034 views)
Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
greenkiwi

Did that contain the information you needed? Or do you need more?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
ChristianP

Quote:
Did that contain the information you needed? Or do you need more?
Thanks for the logs. We haven't identified the problem yet. Did you captured the logs during the blinking state? If not could you please get into the blinking state and capture the logs again (reduce the verbosity to DEBUG)? Could you also temporary uninstall the gfxCardStatus app before capturing the logs? Try also to change the display arrangement (move to the left or right of the internal screen) and see if the problem is still there. Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
greenkiwi

It was during the blinking. I'll try again tomorrow with various configs.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
greenkiwi

I have updated to 1.7b4, things are better... the screen doesn't blink as much and as a result it's almost usable.

I turned off anything that could effect the display and restarted before doing any of the testing.

I tried putting it in other locations, no luck.

I also have a problem when switching spaces where the screen is ALWAYS blank on whichever space is not the one it was open for when it connected.

Still have problems.

I've attached two logs. The first is just the one for blinking. The second was taken in the second space with the screen blank.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information-Blink.zip (954.6 KB, 942 views)
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (663.9 KB, 978 views)
Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
greenkiwi

Just checking, could this be a hardware issue? (faulty or overheating, i'm in an air conditioned office and the device is completely out in the open) I just got the device so if it is a hardware issue I'd rather return it and get a new one, while still inside my return window.

I'm guessing MonoPrice will not have a problem extending the window (by seeing all of this information here) so it isn't that big a deal... They'd rather know it works or doesn't work rather than just guess.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Just checking, could this be a hardware issue? (faulty or overheating, i'm in an air conditioned office and the device is completely out in the open) I just got the device so if it is a hardware issue I'd rather return it and get a new one, while still inside my return window.

I'm guessing MonoPrice will not have a problem extending the window (by seeing all of this information here) so it isn't that big a deal... They'd rather know it works or doesn't work rather than just guess.
Interesting thought about hardware, it might actually be a power problem. You're using the highest pixel clock available on DVI so putting the whole device in the worst case scenario from a power consumption point of view.
[Software developer alert: the following might be completely inaccurate and reflects conversations had with competent hardware engineers in DisplayLink quite some time ago]
As the device becomes warmer the power regulators lose efficiency and the device uses even more power, losing further efficiency and using more power. This additional power request might slightly lower the voltage on the USB coming from your Mac and it's possible that this brings the voltage arriving to the DVI encoder to a borderline situation where the device is still powered but just the encoder is randomly powered down. This would explain why the logs show a happy device and software.

To verify if this is the case then I'd try to connect the device through a self powered (with an external power supply) hub with just the device connected. If the blinking disappears then we might well deduce that your Mac cannot reliably power that device at that resolution.
Since it looks to be a borderline problem, normal component tolerances might resolve it and a different device could actually work well in most cases, but it also might be worse so if it's a power problem and you use the device on a desk I'd just use a powered hub if I were you.

Please let us know your findings!