Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.5 Software Release

Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
olivier57

Default strange noise

Hi,

Several times a day, a horrible and very strange noise appears in my loudspeaker, rather metallic, like zzZZZziiiizzzZiiiiZZZZszziiiiZZZsiiiiissssiiiiizZZ ZiiZZZZ. (not easy to reproduce

It seems to happen after a display modification, not always the same. It happens with or without playing sound. With music in winamp, it's necessary to relaunch the url.With vlc, it requires to disconnect and reconnect the dock station.

I'm not completely sure that it comes from displaylink but the fact is that it appeared since 5.5 installation, never got it before. And disconnect/reconnect the dock station stops the problem.

Does anyone encounter this ? Is it a known problem ? Thanks for any help.

Olivier

Sony Vaio with VGP UPR1 dock station (loudspeakers connected to it)
Windows 7

Last edited by olivier57; 12-01-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Pawel

Lightbulb

Hi olivier57,

This problem hasn't been reported before and its rather unlikely that this is DisplayLink's fault. Could you try uninstalling the 5.5 driver and re-installing 5.4 and see if the noise disappears?

Regards
Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
olivier57

Sorry, I wasn't alerted that you answered (this time I suscribed to instant notification !). Do I uninstall both core software and display drivers and install DisplayLink USB Graphics Windows Driver 5.4 M1 ?

During the last weeks, I noticed that the problem occurs after quick move of the screen (like windows opening, web page display).

Thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Pawel

Lightbulb

Hi,

Yes, please uninstall both core software and display drivers.

Pawel
Old 12-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
olivier57

Hi,

So I reinstalled version 5.4 but problem is still there. Anyway, I jumped from a much older version to 5.5 so I can't say if it is or it's not related with displaylink.

What I noticed, is that the problem occurs in winamp when screen is moving quickly, especially with google chrome but not only. Noise persists if i close winamp and stop after a few seconds. Setting Winamp process to 'real time' seems to reduce the problem instances. It then seems to have a link with processor load, bu the processor is an Intel Core 2 duo 2,66 Ghz not doing something else.

I can't test audio avoiding VGP-UPR1 and display link as my Vaio as no audio direct output.

Not finding a good reason, I just update this post just in case someone else encounter the same problem.

Olivier
Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
olivier57

I just tried with MediaMonkey and encountered exactly the same problem.

In order to stop the noise, I have to disconnect and reconnect the VGP-UPR1. So it seams that there are some reasons to think that DisplayLink could play a role in this problem, couldn't it ?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
olivier57

Hi,

I disconnected the external screen from VGP-UPR1 for several weeks without encountering any problem. Today, I reconnected it. Less than one hour later the problem was back. So no doubt that it comes from display link. I noticed that once done, even when disconnected, the problem may occur. I need to reboot or restart display link driver service to get rid of it.

Thanks for any help,

Olivier

Last edited by olivier57; 03-25-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: add restart driver option
Old 04-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Wim

This sounds like (excuse pun) a hardware interference issue, rather than anything to do with software. Have you tried moving devices around on your desk to see if there is interference that is being picked up on your amp/speakers?

Wim
Old 04-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
olivier57

Thanks for your answer, I tried but no change. I have a cambridge soundtrack system, so the amp is on the floor, quite far from the pc. The problem is clearly linked with the dvi-d connection because it never happen when it's not connected and appears shortly after the connection.

I noticed that it happens mainly whan I use alt-tab and an internet navigator (chrome or IE) perhaps when there is much flash. It seems that there is sometimes a coincidence between quick screen refresh and audio that causes the problem.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
olivier57

Hi,

It seems that the problem comes from Windows Audio service. Problem disappears when I stop and restart it. My PC is up to date.Any idea to solve that ?

Thanks.

Olivier