Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.5 Software Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
sexinxs

Default Win 7 64 Forgets Multiple Monitor Config On Reboot

After I installed 5.5M1 in a multi-card, multi-monitor eviroment (I know it's not supported, but it worked perfectly since this rlease) composed by:

- 3 Asus Nvidia GTX580 (SLI or non-SLI no differcence)
++ 2 Display @ 1920x1200 on first card
++ 1 Display @ 1920x1200 on second card
++ 1 Display @ 1920x1200 on third card
- 1 Asus Nvida GTX480 (PhysX dedicated)
++ No Display connected

Windows 7 64 started to forget multiple monitor configuration and resolutions on reboot: one of the 4 displays goes off after login, another one is on top of the primary and another one sets wrong resolution... It's stuck in that configuration, doesn't matter if I correct it through Windows display properties or Nvidia Control Panel...

The real issue is that also competely uninstalling DisplayLink's drivers (I used also the DisplayLink Install Cleaner) the problem persists!!!

The problem doesn't occour in simple log-off and login sequence, but just on reboot or after a shutdown.

It seems like Win 7 can't recall multimonitor configuration (nor positions, resolutions nor on/off state) during boot... or, really, it can rememeber just ONE (wrong) CONFIGURATION...

Checked boot sequence programs (msconfig) and run keys in registry... everiyhing is ok..

If I manually delete display's entries in registry under
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration] & [Connectivity] it rebuilds them correctly after I set up display configuration (windows display panel and Nvidia control panel have same effect) but after a reboot a new entry shows up with the messed up configuration...

Any ideas??

Sorry for my poor technical english...

Ambrogio Calcaterra

Milano - Italy

Last edited by sexinxs; 12-05-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Pawel

Lightbulb

As you do realize, DisplayLink does not support multi-GPU environments and things may or may not go wrong when having multiple graphics cards installed.

You can try uninstalling 5.5M1 driver, re-install the previous driver version that worked well before and see if the problem continues.

Also, it seems like the core of your issue is not related to DisplayLink SW as the problem persists when DL software is uninstalled.

Regards
Old 12-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
sexinxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
As you do realize, DisplayLink does not support multi-GPU environments and things may or may not go wrong when having multiple graphics cards installed.
Ok. I tried on a fresh (just installed windows 7 64bit and strictly essential drivers) system with only one Asus GTX850 (ForceWare driver 263.09 64 bit) and two display; no other devices except from Logitech bluetooth desktop (mouse and keyboard)... Same problem occurs!!!

I installed directly 5.5M1 for a MimoMonitors iMo Mini-Monster Touch 10-inch USB Touchscreen Monitor: during the boot it wakes up both the two monitors and the Mimo, then, when Windows prompt for the login window, Monitor 2 (connected on port 2 of the GTX580) goes on sleep mode!!!

And also on that configuration full uninstall doesn't correct the issue!!

Quote:
You can try uninstalling 5.5M1 driver, re-install the previous driver version that worked well before and see if the problem continues.
Tried on both systems with 5.5 and 5.4M1: doesn't help.
Note that on second system (one GTX580 and just two display) as a fresh install I never had Display Link drivers installed before.
On first system I had 5.4M1 working (not perfectly cause DirectX was messed up and lot of issues, but multimonitor/card configuration was working) till yesterday, when I upgraded to 5.5M1, had the issue and no way back...

Quote:
Also, it seems like the core of your issue is not related to DisplayLink SW as the problem persists when DL software is uninstalled.
Maybe... Or may be not!!! My thought is that it's something related to installation... wich messes up some entries in the registry.

I did many (5 or 6) attempt with fresh installed configurations perfectly working BEFORE 5.5M1 setup and not working (with this same issue) immediatly AFTER... always with essential drivers setup and with or without full bag of Microsoft Windows Updates...

The OS: Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate
CPU: Intel Core i7-X980 (not OC)
RAM: 12 GB (Corsair)
MB: Asus Rampage III Extreme
Storage: 4x SSD Corsair X256 (Raid)
GC: from one GTX480 (alone) or one GTX580 (alone), to 3 GTX580 and one GTX480 (together in 3-way SLI + 1 PhysX dedicated)

Any advice appreciated.

Ambrogio Calcaterra
Milano - Italy
Old 12-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
sexinxs

-- UPDATE --

Installing Ultramon 3.0.10 helped a little bit because it allow to create display's profiles (with multimonitor configurations including resolutions and positions), and the application can load them soon after login...

But... it's not a definitive solution becouse it prevent Nvidia control panel to display configuration and chnge SLI / not SLI conditions and other parameters.

Note: I'm talking about system WITHOUT displaylink drivers (uninstalled completely)

The behaviour is like that: at boot up the system wake up all the four displays correctly (untill that moment everything is ok); but when still on login screen there is a flash (on-off sequence for all the displays, exactly like when, with displaylink monitor installed, it detects the USB display and activate it) and one of the display goes off. It's at that moment that the issue occours... When I type password and login the display's configuration is messed up... Then Ultramon loads the profile and everythig goes ok...

In addition I found out from Ultramon information's tab that the display going off has a wrong index number, like DisplayLink USB monitor still present in the system:

Monitor 4 - SDM-N80:
Settings: 1280x1024, 32-bit color, 60 Hz refresh rate
Coordinates: -1280,241 - 0,1265. Workspace: -1280,241 - 0,1265
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
Device: \\.\DISPLAY5\Monitor0

Any suggestion on where to search in the registry to correct the problem???
It's clearly something that loads during boot sequence and sets the wrong parameters...

Or a way to make Windows remember... setups from Nvidia Control panel and Windows display properties are completely uneffective...

Thanks

Ambrogio Calcaterra
Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Wim

Hi

We don't do anything to save and restore Windows Multi monitor arrangements in Windows 7. The operating system now does this in Windows 7, so we rely on the OS to restore the layout.

However, this does not mean that NVidia have done the same, and it is quite normal for Intel/ATI/NVidia to write their own apps to store/restore display settings. These tend to work fine when only using a specific vendor's graphics card, but can cause the problems you have seen when used alongside DisplayLink as they do not control the DisplayLink displays.

It should be possible to find these apps that are starting at bootup under HKLM/Software/Micorsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run in the registry and remove them. This would then move Windows 7 back to managing the displays and should solve the issues.

Hope that helps

Wim