Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 09-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
Hi Carlo,

Please post the list for the third refresh of public beta: 10.10.0 (14A361p)
To uninstall you should remove all of the following files (some may not be present on your system) then reboot:
/Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkDriver.kext
/Library/Extensions/DisplayLinkEthernetDriver.kext
/Library/StartupItems/DisplayLinkAgent
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.displaylink.useragent.plist
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.displaylink.useragent-prelogin.plist
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.displaylink.launchd.plist
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.displaylink.displaylinkmanager.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.displaylink.plist
/Library/Receipts/DisplayLink Software Installer.pkg
/Applications/DisplayLink/DisplayLink Software Uninstaller.app
/Library/Application Support/DisplayLink
/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/DisplayLink
/var/db/receipts/com.displaylink*
Administrator access is required.

Cheers,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:32 AM   #12
alphadog

10.9.5 was just released. No mention of any video fixes, or any other bugs reported by many (sleep/wake; finder-thumbnail windows, etc)

Maybe this will get us a driver update?
alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
alphadog

I got tired of having to undock my system every night and the random window server crashes so I got a Thunderbolt dock - it was only a bit more then my Toshiba Dynadock, and since I only can use one monitor with Displaylink, why not try it.

So far it is perfect. No screen lag as with Displaylink, no crashes. And Elgato has a nifty undock icon that unmounts all drives.

Either Apple/DisplayLink will fix the issues, or Thunderbolt monitors will come down in price - whichever happens first will get me back my multimonitor support.
alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
alanpuccinelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
10.9.5 was just released. No mention of any video fixes, or any other bugs reported by many (sleep/wake; finder-thumbnail windows, etc)

Maybe this will get us a driver update?
FWIW I did the 10.9.5 update and it would seem that the latest beta 2.2 driver while it works still suffers from the same problems and is probably even more unstable. I'm getting constant window server crashes now. Bummer that things are moving in the wrong direction. OSX support hasn't been good since 10.8 and we're on the eve of 10.10 now.

Can you outline what it is that Apple has done or isn't doing in the newest versions of OSX that's causing such problems? What is it that the OS isn't supporting now that it once did?
alanpuccinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
K447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post

We're still working on the Mac drivers do not worry.

… it is unlikely that the next beta will address the most annoying Mavericks/Yosemite issues.

It's true that we are still looking for workarounds, but the real fix has to be in the OS to bring it back to the full functionality of OSX 10.8.x.

This has gone far, far beyond 'worry'.

It is abundantly clear that the software architecture used for DisplayLink on Mac OS X has deep problems working with modern Mac computers. The problems are particularly acute when using more than one external display.

That these ongoing driver problems persist through TWO major updates of the Max OS X software suggests that the DisplayLink software/driver implementation on Mac is simply beyond repair. At least it seems to be well beyond the control of DisplayLink.

It is important not only that the actual hardware work as expected, it is critical that the software driver design be able to withstand updates and changes from Apple. It is to be expected that Apple will update Mac OS X and will make changes. It is not acceptable that DisplayLink be unable to cope with these changes.

I have been tolerating the DisplayLink driver limitations by NOT updating the OS X when 10.9 became available. Now 10.10 is arriving and I still have no upgrade path while using DisplayLink drivers.

I am currently running OS X 10.8.5 (12F45) on a 2013 MacBook Air with three external displays (1920x1200 each). One display is connected to the MacBook Air DisplayPort and two via an Acer 'Universal USB 3.0 Docking Station' dual monitor HDMI/DVI adapter (with wired ethernet, etc) using the DisplayLink DL3000 chipset.

Until recently the DisplayLink drivers did allow all three external screens to work, but at times the DisplayPort connected HDMI monitor would power on but appear black. The computer 'thinks' that display is working and I can move the mouse pointer into the area where it should be visible on that screen, but nothing actually appears. The blank monitor appears in the screen Arrangement section of System Preferences. If I unplug the DisplayPort cable from the MacBook Air and wait a minute or so, reconnecting the cable would often restore correct operation of that screen.

I do not have issues with cursor lag and rarely see screen image corruption.
Today the DisplayPort screen refuses to activate despite several power cycles of the computer. Disconnect and reconnect the DisplayPort cable also does not help. The two DisplayLink screens are working fine!

... I really am approaching the end of my tolerance for codling and generally putting up with the DisplayLink 'powered' product.
Update: My DisplayPort to HDMI cable was causing intermittent trouble, cleaned connector contacts and is now working as before.
All three external (plus MacBook Air internal) displays now working as they were before (which means sometimes the DisplayPort screen does not reappear after sleep).
Still does not help with the ongoing DisplayLink/OS X update conflicts.
I just read a news item that Apple Mac computers are now more than a quarter of all personal computers sold in the USA. And a far higher percentage of computers that are 'not cheap'. Customers who have money to spend are buying Apple products.

I suggest it is time for DisplayLink to reboot their approach to Mac driver support. Much more focus and technical resources (money) need to be allocated to the problem. If the driver(s) need to be redesigned from the ground up, then please do so.

I would happily PAY for a driver that actually worked properly, reliably, and continued to work going forward.

Last edited by K447; 09-30-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: cable problem casued sort term confusion
K447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:26 AM   #16
alanpuccinelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanpuccinelli View Post
FWIW I did the 10.9.5 update and it would seem that the latest beta 2.2 driver while it works still suffers from the same problems and is probably even more unstable. I'm getting constant window server crashes now. Bummer that things are moving in the wrong direction. OSX support hasn't been good since 10.8 and we're on the eve of 10.10 now.

Can you outline what it is that Apple has done or isn't doing in the newest versions of OSX that's causing such problems? What is it that the OS isn't supporting now that it once did?
Looks like I may have been hasty in blaming the displaylink driver on my crashes. Turns out I had a stick of RAM actually go bad on me... even still the multimonitor experience still leaves a lot to be desired.
alanpuccinelli is offline   Reply With Quote