Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 2.0 release

Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
spinkb

Default WARNING: Continuous kernel panics after 2.0 beta installed!

I was previously using the a3 version without issue. Saw the 2.0b1 update, and installed it. Machine never booted back up. Got gray screens on two normal monitors, nothing on USB monitor. Gave it over 5 minutes, hit power button. Reboot got kernel panics, sometimes got partial reboot...then kernel panic, and reboot, then continuous loop of reboots.

Booted in single user mode, deleted the DisplayLink* kext files, rebooted...still no change.

Couple times got booted up to gray screens, ssh'd to my machine, looked at running processes...saw other DisplayLink apps running from /Library/Priviledged... Moved those out of there so they won't start. Still can't boot up.

27" iMac, i7 2.93Ghz, 10.8.2.

Everything had been working pretty much OK during the alphas. This b1 killed my system...still trying to figure out a way to get it up again.

I've also tried with and without the USB DisplayLink device attached.

What am I supposed to do now? What else did it screw with?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
spinkb

Gave up...doing time machine backup.

Even after running the uninstaller script, machine still couldn't boot.

Have a *FULL* time machine backup before considering these drivers.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
mlukaszek

Hi,

Sorry to hear you had problems with the machine, however it seems highly unlikely that a machine would keep panicking with .kexts removed, and the device detached.
We have not seen it in our tests, also none of beta testers reported similar thing.
Is the machine running stable after recovering from a backup?

Regards,
Michal
Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
spinkb

Default Back to normal

I was on vacation for a week. Sat down at machine, saw my notifier watching your site that it had changed, looked at it, and downloaded the new build.

Time machine had been running while on vacation...so my last backup was 30 minutes before installing this beta.

After restoring time machine, everything is back and working perfectly again. No kernel panics, no issues whatsoever. I restored to 30 minutes prior before installing the displaylink driver.

I did delete the kexts definitely. I even did a touch on the extensions dir to make the OS rebuild the kextcache (there wasn't one.)

I've never had issues with the displaylink drivers...this was my first issue.

Before the restore, and after deleting kexts, the machine would kernel panic if the displaylink device was connected. Removing it allowed me to boot to a gray screen, no Finder...and not on the network. Couple of times it was and I could SSH into it.

My theory is that the first kernel panic caused file tree corruption. But even with booting in recovery mode on the OS, and repairing the disk using disk utility I never could get past gray screens at boot. Only with the TM restore were things OK. Back on a3, and no issues. Don't have time to try another install and risk all the TM restore delays as my drive is big, and it took 12 hours or so since my only option from recovery mode was the whole drive restore.

Tags
panic beta