Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.5 Software Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
drozwood90

Default Adapter Recognized, maybe not initialized?

Hi,

Searching through the forums (and Google), I found a link to this thread, from v5.3:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=296

I found this thread by taking the last line in my displayui log file and Googling.

I am experiencing the same (or a similar) issue on my server.

I have a EVGA UV12Plus+

When the unit first arrived in the mail, I first did a test-bed install on a non-production machine. It runs Windows XP. I did not have a free USB 2.0 port. However, I had a spare USB PCI card, so I just tossed that in the machine. After installing the driver for that USB card I plugged in the adapter and installed the driver from MFTR for the USBtoVGA adapter (The driver that was on the driver CD is 4.XX). After rebooting, the driver found an update, so I let it update and rebooted again.

After that was installed, I installed the driver for my touchscreen. That coupled with my touchscreen was perfect!

So, at this point, (after some performance testing...which really exceeded my expectations!) I decided to move this over to my server.

The Windows XP machine is 32bit. My server is also 32bit, however is running Windows 7.

On my server, I again, plugged the device in. This time, I had a USB 2.0 hub, with 3 USB sound cards and my APC UPS battery plugged into it. My next step was to try to install using the downloaded "updated" driver. Windows 7 blocked the install - due to incompatibility. So, I did a quick search and found the 5.5 driver on the EVGA website. I uninstalled the 4x driver and installed the 5.5 driver. I had to reboot the server. I did not see the displayui icon in the task bar, so I thought I goofed the install. I reset the server and this time, I caught a quick glimpse of a popup that stated something about incompatible drivers. It was too fast and long to read the whole thing.

I then uninstalled the drivers, unplugged the unit, reset, installed the drivers. Then, Instead of plugging into the USB hub, I plugged directly into the PCI USB card that is in the server. I got the exact same response (with the pop-up message).

So, I decided to find the Displaylink driver site. I found version 5.4 and 5.5b. I tested both, they have the same response. Each time, I can go into the device manager, and I see the unit under USB Display Devices (if I unplug the USB I see that "entitiy" go away in the device manager...plug back in, it comes back). In the driver, it states that everything is loaded properly. However, the taskmanager does not show displayui.exe (whatever the name of the ui.exe file is).

I then found the link to the post in the forum above. I thought, my unit couldn't have gone bad already. So, as a test, I turned my test-bed PC back on and plugged in the unit. My second screen came up immediately!

As a final effort, I uninstalled all drivers on my server, then tried to run the setup.exe file for 4.x driver using compatibility mode. This did not help. So, I uninstalled all drivers and posted this, this morning.

So, at this point, I guess I'm not sure I am going through the proper steps to install the driver (as it sounds like most people do have this working under Windows 7). Did I do something wrong in my sequence?

I do notice some people are having some issues with these units under Win7 when Aero is turned off. I have Aero off. Should I try turning it on to see if the unit starts to work?

Thank you for any incite / advice on this! Also, I can post the logs if it will help.

--Dan

--As a side, I always run the install files with "Run as Administrator"

Last edited by drozwood90; 11-29-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Changed Title
Old 11-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
drozwood90

Would installing and running this in XP Mode, then using the "older" 4.x drivers help?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...indows-xp-mode

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
drozwood90

ok, I setup a second test bed PC. This time, I had Windows 7 x64 on it. Closer to what I am using now. (Win7 32bit). I tried to install this under XP Compatibility mode...that was a nono.

So, I repeated my steps that I had on the server, on this pc. No issues. It installed IMMEDIATLY.

Is there some compatibility issue with ATI video cards? The test PC has Nvidia as the video card. My server has ATI (built into the motherboard).

Do I need something special installed (DirectX or something?)?

I tried to re-install the new 5.5 driver on the server, without the UV12 plugged in. I was able to catch the error this bubble time. It stated that I needed to check www.displaylink.com/software (or something like that) for a new driver, and that the installed one is incompatible.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anything else that I can do to try to troubleshoot this?

Long term, I plan to have 4-6 of these dangling off my my server. I'd at least like to get one working at this point!

Thanks for any help!

--Dan
Old 11-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Pawel

Lightbulb

You can try turning the Aero mode on and see if the problem continues.

Could you confirm your server PC is running on Win 7 64-bit and not on Win Server edition?

Regards
Old 11-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
drozwood90

Pawel,

Thank you for the reply.

Last night, I think I discovered the issue. My ATI Rage XL (video card built into the server) does not have Windows 7 drivers. So, Windows 7 uses the Standard VGA driver. This apparently does not allow the Displaylink software to work. It was confusing me as the driver is a certified driver, but the error message (from the pop-up that disappeared) was telling me I did not have a certified driver.

I am running Windows 7 32 bit. Not server 2008 (Windows 7 server).

After much digging, I see that Aero is actually disabled on my system, as Windows 7 scored the Video card a 1. I can not turn it on. I believe this is because of the driver, as the card itself is a decent enough card (AT Rage XL). The card just does not have a Windows 7 driver. Only XP. I'm not going to be displaying video or anything like that, so just basic video is fine with me.

Is there a way to get the driver to just go ahead and load? It appears that since the driver is the standard driver, the Displaylink software is just giving up.

My other PCs had a AT Rage XL, but running Windows XP (that was the first box I used) and a GeForce 3 (something like that).

I have one PCI slot left in my server. Do you know of any PCI cards that will work with the software? If not, what should I make sure the card can do before purchasing? Obviously it must have ACTUAL Windows drivers (not XP, being forced to run under Windows 7!). Anything else?

Thank you for your response!

--Dan
Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Pawel

Lightbulb

Hi drozwood90,

Looks like you have found the reason of the issue you're seeing. You must have the latest primary graphics card drivers installed in order to DisplayLink solution function properly. Please refer to this FAQ for further info.

The way DisplayLink renders in Aero and Basic mode are different and we recommend using the Aero mode. The fact that your graphics driver disables Aero also does not help. Please refer to this FAQ.

The primary graphics card requirements for DisplayLink displays can be found here.

Regards