Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
fmlogue

Default Beta 3 won't work with Lion 1.7.1

I just updated Lion to 1.7.1 and the displaylink stopped working. It will light up when it is plugged into a usb port but as soon as the dvi connector is plugged in the light goes out. The first few times the computer also locked up, but it seems to be running now, although the display adapter is still dark and no signal is getting through to the second monitor. I am using the beta 3 which was working with Lion 1.7.

Just tried replugging the usb cord with the monitor cable still plugged in and the adapter light turned on but no signal on the monitor.

Tried again all orders of plugging in the usb and dvi but no luck. When the usb cable is plugged alone, the adapter lights up, but as soon as the dvi cable is plugged in, the list goes out. Have no idea why the unit lit up that one time.

Hope a new beta will give me back my second monitor.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmlogue View Post
I just updated Lion to 1.7.1 and the displaylink stopped working. It will light up when it is plugged into a usb port but as soon as the dvi connector is plugged in the light goes out. The first few times the computer also locked up, but it seems to be running now, although the display adapter is still dark and no signal is getting through to the second monitor. I am using the beta 3 which was working with Lion 1.7.

Just tried replugging the usb cord with the monitor cable still plugged in and the adapter light turned on but no signal on the monitor.

Tried again all orders of plugging in the usb and dvi but no luck. When the usb cable is plugged alone, the adapter lights up, but as soon as the dvi cable is plugged in, the list goes out. Have no idea why the unit lit up that one time.

Hope a new beta will give me back my second monitor.
We tested the 10.7.1 update with 1.7b3 driver and it works.
Could you please use the debug tool here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269 and send the output file? Thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
johnfron

I have noticed several issues with the 10.7.1 update and Beta 3 drivers:

> When using Chrome and accessing any page with embedded video - the video was not displayed - but the areas was transparent and I could only see the desktop image in the background.
> When using Firefox - the browser window would not render.
> Still experience issues using Mission Control and space switching - after switching or activating Mission Control - the keyboard is no longer responsive. Must issue a killall dock command to regain the keyboard.

These issues are definitely related to the driver - as once I uninstalled the driver all above issues disappeared.

MacBook Pro
Late 2008, 2.53 Ghz Core 2 Duo
NVidia 9600 GT 512MB
Old 08-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
fmlogue

I am sorry but I cannot run the diagnostic software because whil trying to make the displaylink adapter work I lost my external FireWire drive which was the Lion startup volume. The whole drive has disappeared, My Lion partition, my Snow Leopard partition, my Leopard partition, and the partition which hold my downloaded programs, documents, original photos and other backups. I am now running off my Superduper! clone on the internal drive. Luckily I made that on Saturday morning, I only should have updated it before I updated Lion.My external FireWire drive that had my Time Machine Backup is still visible, so I presume I can find the files I need on that. I have it turned off now, as I don't want any overwriting and lose of files which will occur if the system attempts to back up my new startup volume. I am at a lose as to what happened and how to ge my Newertec miniStack 2,5 to mount. Disk Utility, Disk Warrior and Drive Genius all fail to see the drive and zapping the pram did nothing. The system reports that there is an unknown FireWire device on the FireWire bus, but know volumes.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
philip

Default Does it really work??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianP View Post
We tested the 10.7.1 update with 1.7b3 driver and it works.
Could you please use the debug tool here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269 and send the output file? Thanks
I have the same setup as johnFron, so I'll test this out to see if the latest 10.7.1 with DL beta 3 works. I've read the link given for debugging, and have set the log verbosity to debug. please let me know if you want different settings after I report my findings.

UPDATE:

Ok so I didn't experience anything with videos in the browsers. In fact, I found Safari rendered flash videos quite well.

upon installing and restarting I did experience drag and drop still isn't working off the bat, I had to put my computer to sleep and then turn it on again.

Photoshop 5.1 opens fine, I had issues with this before.

I didn't experience anything with initiating mission control, however once I created a new space, I had the same symptoms John had where he lost ability to type with the keyboard. Even the UI keyboard was un-clickable even though I could use my mouse to move around. I'd love to figure out how john did a killall Dock in terminal without the ability to input text.

So since I was unable to do anything I did a hard restart of my computer and ran display link Information and have attached it to this post. spotlight seems to have reindexed itself a little after hard restart, however it only took minutes not as long as a full indexing, I assume this is a lion feature if you don't shut your computer down properly.

Since I don't use spaces I don't think I would have seen this issue had I not been doing bug testing.

my system if the DL info doesn't give it to you

MBP 5,1 late08 15" 2.53ghz 8gb RAM Lion 10.7.1 running beta 3 on the 9600 video chipset (performance mode instead of battery life).
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (284.1 KB, 817 views)

Last edited by philip; 08-18-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
sdmc

Default Same problem here

Hi, I was able to get the Beta 3 drivers to work under 10.7, but once i updated to 10.7.1 it stopped working. I have attached my output file from the debug tool, hopefully this will help!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
sdmc

Sorry the attachment didn't attach. My bad!.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mac_debug_tool.zip (175.2 KB, 920 views)
Old 08-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfron View Post
I have noticed several issues with the 10.7.1 update and Beta 3 drivers:

> When using Chrome and accessing any page with embedded video - the video was not displayed - but the areas was transparent and I could only see the desktop image in the background.
> When using Firefox - the browser window would not render.
> Still experience issues using Mission Control and space switching - after switching or activating Mission Control - the keyboard is no longer responsive. Must issue a killall dock command to regain the keyboard.

These issues are definitely related to the driver - as once I uninstalled the driver all above issues disappeared.

MacBook Pro
Late 2008, 2.53 Ghz Core 2 Duo
NVidia 9600 GT 512MB
These issues are caused by an Apple bug on machine with both nVidia 9400 and 9600. A workaround for some of these issues is to disable the "Automatic graphics switching" option in System preferences ->Energy Saver. I fix is expected on 10.7.2.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
I have the same setup as johnFron, so I'll test this out to see if the latest 10.7.1 with DL beta 3 works. I've read the link given for debugging, and have set the log verbosity to debug. please let me know if you want different settings after I report my findings.

UPDATE:

Ok so I didn't experience anything with videos in the browsers. In fact, I found Safari rendered flash videos quite well.

upon installing and restarting I did experience drag and drop still isn't working off the bat, I had to put my computer to sleep and then turn it on again.

Photoshop 5.1 opens fine, I had issues with this before.

I didn't experience anything with initiating mission control, however once I created a new space, I had the same symptoms John had where he lost ability to type with the keyboard. Even the UI keyboard was un-clickable even though I could use my mouse to move around. I'd love to figure out how john did a killall Dock in terminal without the ability to input text.

So since I was unable to do anything I did a hard restart of my computer and ran display link Information and have attached it to this post. spotlight seems to have reindexed itself a little after hard restart, however it only took minutes not as long as a full indexing, I assume this is a lion feature if you don't shut your computer down properly.

Since I don't use spaces I don't think I would have seen this issue had I not been doing bug testing.

my system if the DL info doesn't give it to you

MBP 5,1 late08 15" 2.53ghz 8gb RAM Lion 10.7.1 running beta 3 on the 9600 video chipset (performance mode instead of battery life).
Thanks for the detailed report and logs.
The keyboard issue seems related to the 9400/9600 issue.
Not sure, but I assume john used a remote ssh session or similar to run a killall command.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc View Post
Sorry the attachment didn't attach. My bad!.
Thanks, but you probably attached the wrong file. The zip file contains the debug tool, not the zip file created by the debug tool. Could you please re-upload the right file?