Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Windows 8 Software

Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
mlukaszek

Exclamation NVIDIA users having problems with v6.3 and black screens please read

As you can see in few other threads, many NVIDIA users that installed v6.3 have encountered problems with screens going black after they connect a device. This is an issue that is being worked on at the moment and the fix is planned to be included in next DisplayLink Software release.

Unfortunately, recovery (other than reinstalling Win8) is not trivial, and therefore it is recommended that only advanced users attempt it.

Note: you use the following recovery steps at your own risk.
  • To recover the broken Win8 installation, you need to access the disk from another O/S running on the same PC. This can be other version of Windows, or a Live Linux distribution that can be booted from CD or USB stick (e.g. Parted Magic installed thanks to http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/).
  • Locate the folder where Windows 8 was installed - typically C:\Windows, but your location may be different.
  • Navigate to System32\Drivers subdirectory, and remove file dlkmd.sys.
  • Make sure all DisplayLink devices are disconnected, and reboot to start Win8. Upon booting up, you should now be able to uninstall v6.3.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
morne@afridata.net

Hi. Any idea on a date we can expect the new driver? Thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
CertifiablX

Default 6.2 worked for me

I had the black screen issues with 6.3 (nvidia 5100m), but 6.2 seems to be working.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
terryclancy

Cool Ditto

I had the problem too - looking forward to the next (>6.3) version.

It may be helpful to

(1) Before you attempt to install driver - make another boot entry using bcdedit and enable safe boot for that boot record see http://www.blogsdna.com/18209/how-to...er-preview.htm

(2) If you have a broken machine try and Remote Terminal in and remove driver
Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
morne@afridata.net

Hi. Any update on the release date for the next version? We would like to complete our testing of Windows 8 but are stalled at this driver. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
mlukaszek

Smile Beta coming soon!

Good news guys, there is a new beta coming soon, with refreshed support for Windows 8. Can't be exact on the date, but it's this month.
Thank you for your patience all!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Wim

The 7.0 beta is now available from our website here:

http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php

Wim
Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
morne@afridata.net

Hi.
I have tested this on a Dell Vostro 3700 with a NVidia 330M video card with driver version 9.18.12.9665 and Windows 8 RC.

I un-installed the DisplayLink software from add remove programs and I un-installed the driver from device manager. I restarted the machine and installed the beta driver before plugging in the device.

When checking the DisplayLink driver details in device manager I see version 6.3.38103.0.
When checking the software version in add remove programs I see version
DisplayLink Core Software 7.0.39973.0.
DisplayLink Graphics 7.0.39857.0.

Thanks for sorting this out.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
abendorg

I was trying display link's V7.0 B1 11 Jul 2012 on my dell e6510 with an nvidia nvs3100 driver version 304.79-notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-beta on windows 8 6.2.8400. I installed the display link software, rebooted, inserted my plugable usb display adapter (vga only model) and all 3 screens went blank. Rebooted, still blank. Disconnected everything from the laptop & rebooted, still blank. Went back to a previous restore point, AOK. Uninstalled displaylink software, verified no dlkmd.sys file anywhere on the drive. What next to get this working? It did work on this same laptop on win7.