Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
jdronks

Default Authentication issues on ethernet port

I'm running the 7.6 M0 DisplayLink drivers on the Lenovo USB 3.0 port replicator (Part number: 0A33970).

When attempting to connect via ethernet, I receive an authentication failed error. We are using 802.1x in an enterprise environment. When I re-enable wireless, the LAN will connect shortly thereafter without authentication issues and work as intended.

The port is fine, and about half the time, the dock will successfully authenticate on it's own without issue.

Logs are attached to the post. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip X1Carbon2_20140529_095407.zip (705.6 KB, 4 views)
jdronks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Can you try the latest USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver from here?
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&DwnldID=22824

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
jdronks

Attached with the latest Host Controller driver installed - still experiencing same issues
Attached Files
File Type: zip X1Carbon2_20140529_115809.zip (889.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
JamesH

Hi,

OK thanks, I've raised the internally for investigation.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
jdronks

Is there any ETA on it?
Old 06-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
Wim

These issues tend to be above the DisplayLink driver layer, as all we do is pass layer 2 packets. The problem tends to be due to the internal network expecting certain MAC address (the dock has its own MAC address that will not be in a corporate whitelist) or we have seen the network requiring a different MTU to allow it to work in the network.

In the logs, I can't see the Wireless Network Connection (it is disabled) to see what settings you have on this interface.

I think it is best to check the network settings and any error settings on the 802.1x authentication server, as the problem is probably above our USB driver and something to do with the network security. You could try using wireshark to see the packets in a working and a failed case and see what the difference is. It could give a clue as to where the problem is in the system.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
will888

Hi Wim,

My office has just installed a whole bunch (~ 100 for hotdesking) of Targus USB3 docks (ACP71) and we're having a similar problem with 802.1x authentication.

When the new network adaptor is created by Windows for the dock's ethernet (new MAC address) port, how does Windows know what the default authentication settings are? Eg, Does it simply copy the built-in adaptors' properties or create new settings (like which certificate can be used to authenticate) from scratch?

The user experience is quite poor in that manual intervention is required to get staff online. It should be simple plug and plug, but many users are deciding to use their laptop's built in ethernet adaptor as that's already configured correctly for 802.1x

Will
will888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Wim

The settings will probably not be copied across as each network connection will have its own settings.

However you can set these remotely, as they are just set in the Windows registry. I'm not that familiar with setting up 802.1x authentication (as I'm not an IT manager) but we have details on how our Ethernet settings can be set remotely and it is probably similar of 802.1x. Details on how to set up the Ethernet settings remotely is covered in section 5.7 of the User Guide:

http://downloads.displaylink.com/man...rManual7.6.pdf

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #9
will888

Thanks for the quick reply, Wim.
Unfortunately remote config won't work as the computer can't get on the network without manual intervention in the first place.
So I need to see if the settings for a newly created network adapter can be copied from somewhere or set as a specific default..

Any other ideas?
will888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
London2301

Default Any news on this one.

Did anyone get a fix for this. Hi we have recently deployed hundreds of USB 3,0 docking stations in an 802.1x environment and are getting reports of people being placed in the Guest VLAN when they dock fist thing in the morning (failed auth). A wifi enable and disable seems to sort the wired authentication out. This does not happen all the time.
London2301 is offline   Reply With Quote