Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 09-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
uptownchi

Default Airplay/VNC over Displaylink USB

There is a company out of Korea that has managed to turn an iPad into an external display using software already built into both iOS and MacOS X. TwoMon is cool but it's still only an iPad so it isn't a nice 1080p screen.

My question pertains to AirPlay. I have an older AppleTV 2, I tested the response over ethernet and found that the quality to be superb but still laggy. It was sufficient for what I wanted to test but having the DisplayLink adapter somehow use the AirPlay mechanism over USB would be ideal. Has this even been attempted for Displaylink?

It would seem to be the direction that could make the experience of the user obtain both OpenGL and Quartz rendering. Has this been attempted? The technology in 100 mbit ethernet seemed to be closer to accurate. How would a 5gbps USB connection be in this scenario?

Is Airplay something like a VNC connection? Is this possible to use this mechanism to deliver Displaylink? It's streaming the video over USB with proprietary means so why not have it stream via the USB adapter using existing topologies from Displaylink and Apple's custom VNC or AirPlay? (AirParrot also has similar technologies)

Jorge Lopez
uptownchi is offline   Reply With Quote