Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
rlane00

Default Problem with USB 3.0 ASMedia Host controller and DisplayLink

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help me with getting this software to load / work for my setup. Here is the situation I have a Samsung NP700Z5AH-S0AUS (running Win 7 professional 64-bit) which has two video cards: 1) Intel HD Graphics Family and 2) AMD Radeon HD6750M. I also have two external monitors - both Dell U2412. Since my laptop does not have a dedicated docking station I decided to buy a universal docking station so that I could use my dual monitors (as I had with previous laptop).

I first bought a Toshiba Dynadock U3.0 which seemed to have all the features I wanted. However, when I attempted to load the driver software that came with the Toshiba it did not work (the software did not show up in the task bar). They tried downloading the latest drivers directly from DisplayLink site, but that didn't help. They said the unit was bad and I should return and replace.

Thinking that I didn't want to have the same problem I decided to return the Toshiba unit, but replace with a similar featured version from Targus instead - model ACP71USZ. That unit just arrived today and I had the same problem. The instructions state (for Win 7) to just connect the docking station to laptop and Windows will start installing the DisplayLink Driver automatically. I did this, and a "Generic USB Hub" driver was installed - but nothing showed up in the system tray. I then tried downloading the driver from the CD provided and the installation appeared to be "in progress" and then it just stopped with no notice or window popping up saying anything. Still nothing in the system tray. Same result when I tried downloading the latest driver from DisplayLink website.

I called Targus for tech support and the tech asked if my laptop had two video cards (which it does). He said I had to disable one of the video cards and then try it again. Doesn't sound like a real good solution to me, so I looked for support here. I didn't see anything that addressed this issue in a quick search - hence this post.

Is there a way to make this setup work? If so, how do I do it?

Edit: I further checked some of the sticky posts and went through the steps.
- The program is installed.
- The service is running
- However the Hardware Ids is"USB\VID_8087&PID_0024" which does not match what the posts says it should be.

Thanks.

Last edited by Wim; 04-03-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Changed title to make it easier for other people to find.
rlane00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Wim

Hi

OK - we'll try and help you get to the bottom of this. Firstly, the 2 graphics cards you have I think are switchable graphics (the computer switches between the GPUs), which are supported by DisplayLink. What is not supported is when you have 2 discreet video cards installed in a desktop.

The hardware ID you are seeing is the Hardware ID of the USB hub I think. As you cannot see anything else, it looks like the dock is not being recognised on the USB bus.

A quick Google and I think your laptop has USB 3.0? There can be some problems with older versions of USB 3.0 Host controller drivers (the driver for your USB 3.0 port). Updating the driver for your USB 3.0 controller could solve this issue. We have an FAQ to the latest driver versions of USB 3.0 controllers.

Hopefully with an updated Host Controller driver, the dock should leap to life, but if it doesn't please gather the log files and post them here so we can take a further look.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
rlane00

My laptop does have USB 3.0 (2 ports) plus a single USB 2.0 port as well. So far I've only been trying to work with the 3.0 ports - since the Targus universal docking station also supports 3.0.

I was able to update my driver (to ASMedia version 1.14.3.0), but the docking station is still not recognized on either of the (2) USB 3.0 ports. However, when I switched to the USB 2.0 port on my laptop the docking station sprang to life and appears to be working fine.

So it is now working - but would be nice to have the 3.0 operational as well. Any further thoughts on that?

Last edited by rlane00; 02-27-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Wim

At least it is now working on USB 2.0. We are aware of some issues with compatibility with DisplayLink and ASMedia USB 3.0 controllers. V6.1 M2 was specifically released to work around issues with this Host controller (ASMedia limitations, not DisplayLink problems). However the latest released version of ASMedia you have does not contain fixes that they have done, so there are still ASMedia problems with DisplayLink, that they need to fix. We believe they are working on these, but we don't know if/when these will be released.

I think it would be best to contact the laptop manufacturer and ask if there is an updated ASMedia driver to solve the compatibility with DisplayLink. We will also follow up with ASMedia.

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
JamesH

Hi,

To help us investigate this issue can you try version 1.14.4.0 of the ASMedia driver to see if that helps and also please post the logs that can be gathered through the tool described here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
rlane00

I installed the 1.14.4.0 driver (I hope it was done correctly). I then restarted the computer and connected to the USB3.0 port on my laptop. The behavior appeared to be the same as before on the 3.0 port - essentially the universal docking station was not recognized at all.

I then reconnected to the usb2.0 port and it's working again.

I then downloaded your debug tool and ran it (when connected to the 2.0 port) and attached the zip file that was created.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RL_20120229_110906.zip (601.2 KB, 17 views)