Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.3 Software Release

Old 04-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
AGR

Default Continuous flashing when start application that uses WPF

In the release notes at:
http://www.displaylink.com/filestore...ease_notes.txt
I noticed the entry:
Windows Presentation Foundation based applications may show
corruption or flashing on DisplayLink screens when
opened. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...ion_Foundation
for details of WPF based applications. (4825, 4931)

I am a user of x1 (www.x1.com). If I use my DisplayLink devices (ViBooks) with rev 6.7 of x1 (www.x1.com) running, I get flashing which is worse that what is described above. With x1 running on my laptop display, this flashing is primarily on two ViBook displays. It starts out as a square flashing that is about 1/4 of the screen area on each of the displays. If I unplug the ViBooks before starting x1, but do not wait long enough, I can also get flashing on the display connected directly to the laptop. Once in this state, I cannot do much of anything. I end up logging out or shutting down. If the ViBooks are not connected x1 runs fine. The ViBooks are fine with the rest of the applications I use.

I filed a case with x1 concerning this issue. Rev 6.7 of x1 uses WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation). Here is what I was told:
It sounds like this may be an issue with the new UI and it's use of WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation).

First, please make sure that he has the latest drivers for your Vibook USB adapter.

Additionally, I recommend that you check with the manufacturer of the USB adapter card to ensure that applications that run WPF (or .NET 3.0/.NET 3.5) can work with the USB video card. If these types of applications are not yet supported by the adapter, you should ask if/when they anticipate support to see if they can expedite.

I have worked around the problem by reverting back to rev 6.2.4 of x1. This was the last version of x1 that does not use WPF. Rev 6.2.4 is running fine.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AGR_System_Info.2010.04.01.zip (68.0 KB, 1345 views)
Old 05-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
AGR

Default PowerShell ISE uses WPF and has similar problems

I happen to try Windows PowerShell ISE ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../dd315244.aspx ). Turns out, it also uses Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). When I started it, while my two DisplayLink monitors were running, got monitors flashing in a manner similar to what happened when I ran rev 6.7 of X1. With my two DisplayLink monitors disconnected, Windows PowerShell ISE comes up fine.

AGR
Old 06-18-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
rodh257

yep can't use WPF at all.

Visual STudio 2010 is WPF, and has multiple monitor support, I can see lots of people wanting extra monitors for use with it, only to be dissapointed.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Starnamer

Default Does 5.4 Beta fix this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodh257 View Post
yep can't use WPF at all.

Visual STudio 2010 is WPF, and has multiple monitor support, I can see lots of people wanting extra monitors for use with it, only to be dissapointed.
My position exactly. I've currently downgraded back to VS2008 as I don't actually need the new features yet.

Does the imminent 5.4 Beta support WPF?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Kingu

Thumbs down Quickbooks 2010 as well

Quickbooks 2010 has this issue as well, sadly.

I tried the 5.4 Beta and still no luck. Any new news about WPF and Displaylink?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Wim

Hi All

This should be fixed in the v5.5 beta available here.

Thanks

Wim