Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release

Old 11-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
tom_in_atlanta

Default Supporting Samsung U70 as your only monitor

NOTE to Display Link Tech Support:

Displaylink drivers 5.1 and 5.2 do not support using the Samsung U70 Monitor as a stand-alone USB monitor. a DVI/HDMI monitor must be attached.

The Displaylink 4.6 driver DOES support the Samsung U70 stand-alone without any other monitor attached. However, you don't have the other improvements to picture quality, Windows 7 support, etc that are included in the newer releases.

I did not test any of the 5.2 Beta releases.

The PC I tested with was a Fit_PC2.

Can this issue be fixed in your next release?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
AoRaToS

I can confirm this issue exists.

I use the fit-PC2 also and had the U70 working fine as the only monitor connected using driver version 4.6

I switched to 5.2 to enjoy the benefits of better video performance only to find out that if I boot without another monitor attached U70 will not work as it did with 4.6. The settings are exactly the same. (Except for the Notebook option that didn't exist in the older release)

When using 5.2 with only the U70 connected I logged in remotely and found out that in Display Properties there was a DisplayLink Device listed, setup correctly but there was no DisplayLink icon in the Taskbar and the U70 would not work. I had to switch back to 4.6 to be able to work without having another monitor connected.

Computer is fit-PC2 using Windows XP SP3 Home in all driver tests.

I wonder what happens if I decide to use Windows 7, will it work?I can't really test that at the moment but 5.2 is the only drivers that are for Windows 7 (so 4.6 won't work on Win7) and this feature might not work...

Please work on this issue and let us know if anything can be done and if I can help out with testing on this specific setup...(with any new BETA)
Old 11-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Wim

Hi

I've just tried to reproduce this on Windows 7 with v5.2 and a Nanovision mini mon (same resolution as the U70) connected to my laptop.

I can use the windows Display Properties to set the mini mon to the only display and this works correctly.

Which OS are you seeing this on? Does it not work at all or is it just certain screens, eg the login screens?

This should work, so I'd like to reproduce and then look for a fix.

Thanks

Wim
Old 11-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
tom_in_atlanta

I suspect it may be different using a notebook. AoRaToS and I tested it using Windows XP SP3 on a Fit-PC2. I have the GMA 500 adapter drivers installed and then installed Displaylink drivers. I would suggest using a desktop. With the DVI monitor unplugged, using only the USB monitor. So long as the main monitor is plugged into the CPU it works but when you unplug it, the USB monitor will not display anything.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Wim

Hi

OK - I tried this on my home PC with Windows 7 and a mini monitor. When the PC booted I saw nothing on the mini mon, except the mouse pointer. I suspect one of the other graphics card outputs was primary and showing the login screen.

However I plugged in the primary DVI monitor to the graphics card and bingo... the Mini mon came on and was primary.

I've raised this as a bug. Hopefully we can fix this. Thanks for finding it and raising it.

Wim
Old 11-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
tom_in_atlanta

Great. I'm glad you were able to recreate the problem. Let me know if I can assist in beta testing your fix or in any other way. I appreciate your responsiveness.

My guess is when the feature was added to turn off the notebook monitor it somehow created this bug. It would only show up in testing when you are using a computer with a separate monitor and not a laptop.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
tom_in_atlanta

Any progress?
Old 12-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
sddroog

I am having the same problem. The DisplayLink monitor only 'starts' after reconnecting my HDMI monitor.

Is there a fix available already? Beta? Anything?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Wim

This should be fixed in the v5.3 beta. Could you retest it using the beta?

Thanks

Wim
Old 05-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
AoRaToS

I've now tested using v5.3 M1 and it works as expected!

The only question I have is, after I set it up correctly the option that's selected in the DisplayLink tray icon is the "Notebook Monitor Off" and indeed that option makes it work correctly. The option "Set as Main monitor" doesn't do anything, wouldn't that be the option that should make it work as the main monitor?Logically....

There's no way I can have it select the "Set as Main Monitor" option...