Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 12-01-2016, 12:32 AM   #11
Trekari

I was asked specifically for the logs, which I provided.

Yes, I expect a "support" forum to actually provide support of some kind.

I am reasonably sure the issue is related to Google, Microsoft, or Displaylink because the symptoms only happen with Chrome, they only started after the update to Windows 10 AU, and turning off my Displaylink device solves the issue.

Of course I checked "Netflix stutter," "Netflix lag Chrome," "Netflix Chrome sync" and various other queries. Many results deal with youtube videos, which I do not have any issue at all with.

Yes, I checked Resource Monitor. Both CPU and memory (and network).

If something went wrong with the Windows 10 AU update, then using the Media Creation Tool and doing a clean installation of Windows 10 AU version should have resolved it, correct? It did not.

Yes, I have tried all of the various steps the Chrome "helpers" suggest. Including but not limited to: Fresh install, new profile, disabling hardware acceleration, incognito mode (doesn't work on netflix.com), installing a different version of Flash, and even disabling the only extension I use (Adblock).

I believe that I've done everything in my power to do to track down a fix for this. At this point I need manufacturer support. If they need more logs, they should tell me how to provide what they need and I'll do it. Going weeks at a time without response doesn't help me, or anyone else who might have this issue.
Trekari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #12
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekari View Post
Because Chrome is the browser I prefer to use. Why should I have to use software I do not care for in order to avoid a problem which should instead be addressed and corrected?

Someone is responsible for this malfunction - either you guys, Google, or Microsoft, and thus far nobody has accepted responsibility or issued a fix. I can't even get someone on the Google product forums to pay attention at all, so the only way I see this getting resolved is if you guys get in touch with Google (or Microsoft) and tell them there's a problem which needs correcting.

I'm upset because this isn't the first time there's been a major issue with my Displaylink device, and it only happened after a forced upgrade from Microsoft to Windows 10 AU, and I'm sick of having hardware/software issues forced upon me and having to sit around and hope that enough people have the issue to where someone cares enough to be bothered to fix it.
What I can understand from that is that you are venting on DisplayLink forums because we are the only ones who listen to you and reply. I am obviously not responsible for addressing Google product forums and Microsoft "forced updates".

You are totally welcome to keep using Google Chrome for now if you wish. I personally would prefer having something that works smoothly, whichever free tool provides it to me.
It could also be an issue with the video streaming technology being used, if that's only Netflix... But yeah, Netflix will tell you to remove DisplayLink, it's far easier.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #13
Trekari

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
What I can understand from that is that you are venting on DisplayLink forums because we are the only ones who listen to you and reply. I am obviously not responsible for addressing Google product forums and Microsoft "forced updates".

You are totally welcome to keep using Google Chrome for now if you wish. I personally would prefer having something that works smoothly, whichever free tool provides it to me.
It could also be an issue with the video streaming technology being used, if that's only Netflix... But yeah, Netflix will tell you to remove DisplayLink, it's far easier.
You understand incorrectly. I am not here to vent. I am here to get support and have this issue corrected. You asked for logs; I provided them. I have offered to provide any other information you need to track this down. Thus far, that offer has been met with silence.

You're correct that you are not responsible for what happens on Google product forums, or Microsoft's updates. But let's not pretend that you don't have an avenue of communication with other major hardware and software providers that you could utilize to help resolve this.

I use Chrome because it is a browser I have confidence in, and it automatically syncs with my cellphone. It has features which Edge does not - features which matter to me. What you prefer to use is your decision, and what I prefer to use is mine. Complaining about my browser of choice is not the job of technical support.

If you consider this to be venting, then it is only because I'm NOT getting support and this issue is NOT being resolved. Once again - if you need more information or logs, tell me how to provide them and I will do so. Criticizing my choice of browser will not benefit anyone.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #14
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Trekari,

I have not pretended anything in this thread.

We do have contact with Microsoft graphics, obviously as we have press release about that. But I do not expect any traction whatsoever explaining that there is an issue on Netflix when not using Microsoft Edge but only using Google Chrome browser.
We do have contacts with Google in different team, but not in the team doing the browser.
We do not have contacts at Netflix at all.

When this has reached the top of the backlog and if the team needs more information, then we will ask. Unfortunately today I have only 2 reports out of millions of displays currently in use with a straight forward workaround.

Of course, if you get feedback from the other suppliers, this will be helpful.

Regards,
Alban

Old 12-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #15
Trekari

I would not expect you to discuss anything with the Edge browser team. My remarks regarding Microsoft are in reference to the WDDM change implemented in the Anniversary Update. That may have nothing to do with it, but it's the only graphics-related change that I'm aware of, and I know it came with the AU. Prior to AU, everything was fine, thus my suspicion that the 2.1 version of WDDM might have something to do with it.

Trust me: if I get any updates from anyone else about this, I will let you know.

Last edited by Trekari; 12-02-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #16
AlbanRampon

Hello,

You could check about the WDDM version impact by downgrading your primary graphics card driver.
If you take one from about March 2016, it would be WDDM 2.0 and therefore work as such.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 12-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #17
KingHeroical

Default Also experiencing this issue

Netflix was the thing that helped me realize that it's the Chrome browser that's the issue (Netflix stuttering etc). Netflix doesn't even have to be on the USB connected monitor to have the issue - so long as the monitors (I use two USB monitors) are connected, the issue is there.

As well, I can see evidence of the issue without Netflix running - general poor/stutter behavior from other apps - primarily browser driven apps (they may be based on Chromium?)

Windows 10x64 1607
Xeon E5-1660 3.3GHz
32GB ram
1x nVidia Quadro 600
2x nVidia GeForce GT 610
2x Startech DisplayPort to USB adapters
KingHeroical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:21 AM   #18
Trekari

More people are posting about this issue with the same conclusions as I've reached.

Still no fix from Displaylink OR Google.

https://productforums.google.com/for...k/HC2BdindAAAJ
Old 02-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #19
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Sure, I am sure you are Jason on that forum.
You will note that thehollowbox replied to your complaint explaining this wouldn't be something for DisplayLink to look into but Chrome. So that's not really different to what you have been told here.

To address this, we would need some profiling of what is making Chrome sluggish. It could be several reasons. It could be a bottleneck with the GPU, the CPU, some threads in the browser, the Netflix code... The experts in Chrome is not DisplayLink.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 02-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #20
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Sure, I am sure you are Jason on that forum.
You will note that thehollowbox replied to your complaint explaining this wouldn't be something for DisplayLink to look into but Chrome. So that's not really different to what you have been told here.

To address this, we would need some profiling of what is making Chrome sluggish. It could be several reasons. It could be a bottleneck with the GPU, the CPU, some threads in the browser, the Netflix code... The experts in Chrome is not DisplayLink.

Kind regards,
Alban