Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED - Mac 2.1 release

Old 09-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Schwaxdoc

Default Very sluggish compared to Mountain Lion

My Apple menu is on the left instead of the right on my second monitor and the performance pales compared to mountain lion. Any Suggestions
Schwaxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Schwaxdoc

To be more specific, the frame rate appears to be 4-5 frames a second on a samsung monitor at 2048x1152 where as I previously experienced ~30FPS. Should I expect this to improve as the beta matures or should I look for a different solution? Does anyone else have experience?
Old 09-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
MickM

There is no question that DisplayLink on Mavericks is awful compared with Mountain Lion. I'm just about to upgrade to the 2.1 release and I'll let you know if anything gets any better...
MickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
MickM

So while still running Mavericks but now using the new 2.1 release I see improved performance i.e. not any where near as sluggish. Maybe it was the fact that I had to do a restart, but the outcome is that things are a lot less jerky. The main thing I wanted to see fixed (all the epilepsy inducing flashing in safari and mail) is still broken :-(.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
MickM

I take that back - the main thing I wanted to see fixed was the fact that pieces of windows, or even whole windows don't even display at all unless you do something to make the DisplayLink stuff force a redraw of the display.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
MickM

Well guess what - it's back to being really sluggish again. Safe to say I have no idea what's going on...
Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
Schwaxdoc

Default Agree

Still sluggish. Anyone with experience on DP8?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Wim

We are aware performance is slower on 10.9, even though we are using exactly the same Apple API to get the pixels. We're looking into if anything can be done to improve this independently of Apple.

The flickering on Safari etc is very annoying but this does seem to be a bug in how the Apple API is giving us the updates for this application. It has been raised with Apple to fix.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
MickM

Thanks Wim.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Schwaxdoc

Smile Thanks

Thank you. It is not often that a support team simply says, " we know it is slower" and we are working on it. Applause for that. I will await patiently a "fix". Interestingly, the frame rate of things like video playback etc. is not slower. It is mostly mouse and window movements. Does this make any sense?