Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 09-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
jjwebster

Default App windows "blanking"

I have a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro, running macOS Sierra (10.12.6), and using the latest DisplayLink drivers (v4.0.0). I have two USB 2.0 to DVI Display Adapter (2048x1152) from Monoprice. Prior to macOS updates, everything worked great (albeit a bit slow via USB 2.0). I'm not sure which recent update caused it, but I now frequently have issues where major portions of the app window(s) I have displayed on external monitors go "blank" (white). This occurs most frequently/reproducibly with Microsoft apps (specifically, MS Excel.. presently Excel 2016 v15.27)... but I have also seen the behavior with Safari. Sticking with MS Excel to describe the issue:

...when dragging the app around on the screen, or switching to another app with CMD+TAB or clicking an icon on the dock, the app frame, title bar, and ribbon bar remain visible, but the working area goes white. Bringing the app back to focus, MOST of the app window redraws, but portions remain white (for example, the tab bar). Interacting with the app in a way that tends to redraw usually brings it back. But, that often means clicking in a specific spot to cause the app to respond (e.g., clicking the area that would represent a different tab in the spreadsheet, but since the area is blank, one does not know where that might be).

I have been consistently upgrading the drivers when released by DisplayLink... currently 4.0.0. With every revision I expect the issue to be resolved, but it still remains even after the update to the drivers a few days ago.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

JW
jjwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebster View Post
I have a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro, running macOS Sierra (10.12.6), and using the latest DisplayLink drivers (v4.0.0).

I have been consistently upgrading the drivers when released by DisplayLink... currently 4.0.0. With every revision I expect the issue to be resolved, but it still remains even after the update to the drivers a few days ago.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

JW
Hi JW,

Unfortunately Apple has introduced this issue in 10.12.4. The missing/corrupted window contents are created before we can access them so this is completely outside our control.

The good news is that, for systems compatible with Metal like yours, Apple has finally added in 10.13 hardware acceleration that we can access from our drivers. This resolves these content-related issues and help performance.
Version 4.0 takes advantage of this change, so the advice is to upgrade to High Sierra as soon as you can.

Please let us know how do you find the High Sierra experience.

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
xicilihox

Default Solution

Hi buddy, I faced DQFanSurvey the same issue with that version of macOS. Do check DGCustomerFirst out the macOS 10.14: Mojave, they have fixed on this.

Regards,
Xici Lihox

Last edited by xicilihox; 01-20-2020 at 04:36 PM.
xicilihox is offline   Reply With Quote