Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
mich0111

Default Full Win10RS3 machine freezes with Logitech dongle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,

Would you please be able to post logs so this can be looked at?

This new version of Windows isn't supposed to have changed anything with regard to our driver.
Like for all other discussions, the last link of my forum signature gives how to collect the logs you can then upload here for analysis.

Regards,
Alban
For me the update was fine except for the Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse.
When I connect the dongle to the dock the laptop is freezed. I can't even turn it off.
On the other hand, when the dongle is connected directly on the laptop, everything is fine, screen and network.
At first, I thought it was a problem with the USB ports of the dock but I can use them in connecting an external storage for instance.
Any idea to fix it?
Regards
Michel
mich0111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Michel,

That's not really nice, to stay polite.
I'm spinning this into its own thread as the use case and end state are quite different.The only common thing is the OS which will become everyone's shortly.

We know these dongles are noisy (Intel wrote a paper about USB3.0 and 2.4GHz interferences) and can create issues but they shouldn't seize the machine.

DisplayLink technology doesn't seem involved here: your Logitech transceiver is connected to a USB hub in the docking station which is then connected to another hub and the USB host controller. DisplayLink doesn't do hubs. And if the machine dies, I wouldn't expect the dock to keep working.
So neither the chip we make or our driver can see the dongle traffic.
Still, I would be keen on getting more data to understand what takes place here.

I am sorry to give you homework, but I don't see any other way at this stage.

We have a Customer Support Tool which collects machine details and logs from DisplayLink driver and chip. The last link in my signature gives access to that tool.

Please do the following:
1. Download and run the tool when the machine works properly.
1a. Please use extended desktop, and NOT replace mode: the laptop screens should be switched on.
1b. Please use DisplayLink driver version 8.2 M3.
1c. Don't put any application with sensitive information on display. The fewer applications running, the better as it gives us a minimum set of requirement to reproduce.
2. Enable advanced logging.
3. Connect the Logitech dongle and Gather Logs (note the filename including its timestamp). This will tell me what the dongle is going in the USB food chain in relation to the USB hubs in the dock.
4. Move the Logitech dongle to the dock. At this stage, if I understand properly, your machine freezes. Here are my questions:

A1. What do(es) the dock connected screen(s) show(s): on but black image, last image frozen, low power mode. If frozen on last image, unplug the dock, A2: does the image goes black and then to lower power mode?
B. What does the laptop screen shows: on but black image, last image frozen, low power mode.
C. If the laptop screen is not dark or black image: does moving the laptop trackpad moves the mouse pointer? If so, collect new logs with the tool and note the timestamp.
D. If all is frozen, can you leave the machine like that for 15 minutes. Do you get the blue screen? If so, that's helpful. If not, we need to find a way to crash it.

Please upload ZIP what you have as logs from the tool. Do remember to disable advanced logging.
If there is a blue screen with sad face (BSoD), we will discuss how to collect this.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote