Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release

Old 10-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
redviper

Default NVidia driver crashing when resuming display with 3 monitors

I am using a dual monitor setup with my 8800GT card with a 3rd monitor attached through the EVGA UV+ displaylink adapter. However when my display resumes from blank screen the NVidia driver crashes (fortunately only the video drivers crash).

The problem goes away if I disable any one of my other two monitors there is no driver crash. Uninstalling the displaylink driver (but not simply disconnecting it) also fixes the crash.

I have had this problem consistently on all versions of Windows 7 64 since RC with all versions of the displaylink device + nvidia drivers that i could find. (I can give more detailed platform specs if there is no simple fix).
Old 11-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
globoy1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by redviper View Post
I am using a dual monitor setup with my 8800GT card with a 3rd monitor attached through the EVGA UV+ displaylink adapter. However when my display resumes from blank screen the NVidia driver crashes (fortunately only the video drivers crash).

The problem goes away if I disable any one of my other two monitors there is no driver crash. Uninstalling the displaylink driver (but not simply disconnecting it) also fixes the crash.

I have had this problem consistently on all versions of Windows 7 64 since RC with all versions of the displaylink device + nvidia drivers that i could find. (I can give more detailed platform specs if there is no simple fix).

I have the same problem on a Quadro 2700M also under Win7/64. It recovers from the driver crash but its not a very elegant return from blank.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Martin

Thanks guys. I don't think there is an easy fix - but if you can bare it, disabling aero usually helps. If you can give me some detailed specs (like driver version) then I'll get it looked at in time.

Martin.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:41 AM   #4
redviper

I tried the aero trick but didn't result in any significant change (the recovery from the crash is a little bit faster).

I am using the latest displaylink driver.

Interestingly the first time I install windows and attach the 3rd monitor resuming from DPMS works fine. I have a feeling its an issue the 64bit NVidia drivers and the displaylink driver. I'll try it on my ati powered laptop later this week.

What kind of debugging info can I send you?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Martin

Hi redviper,

The information that is usually useful is the nVidia driver version installed and the DisplayLink driver version. We have recently seen some issues with older nVidia drivers and extended desktops that expand over 4096 pixels in either dimension, so it's worth checking you have the latest nVidia driver.

Thanks,
Martin.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
redviper

I am using Win 7 - 64 professional. I am attaching the debug folder from the displaylink core software as well as the nvidia system information output.

In summary its a 8800GT, driver version 191.56 (I have a 7950GT lying around that I can test with over xmas).

I just tried with the latest driver on your site (5.2.22372) but I have had the problem recurring since the day I started (I think first driver I got installed on it was the win 7 beta at version 4 or something).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Debug.zip (9.8 KB, 1736 views)
File Type: txt NVIDIA System Information 12-03-2009 19-31-40.txt (2.8 KB, 1646 views)
Old 12-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
dokindo

This is my solution to the same problem (I have a 9400GT and an EVGA+, also running 3 displays, nvidia driver 195 and latest display link driver).

1) disable the nvidia display driver in Services (startup manual)
2) edit the registry to TdrLevel 0 (google for details)

This does result in a bad wake from display off/sleep - but that is solved by hitting ctrl-alt-del, then click cancel.

I know this is a workaround, but it seems to be working...
Old 03-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
pobel

Default W7 rtm 64

Hi

I have the same problem, but not only waking from sleep, but also when the machine turns off the screens to save power. Also with three screens (the laptop, the extended by the graphics card, and the display link)

I run a Macbook Pro with a G-force 9400M
Bios version: 62.79.67.0.0
Driver: 195.62

DisplayLink driver: 5.2.22617.0

P

Last edited by pobel; 03-01-2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 03-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
zharling

Any updates on this issue?

I had the same with GA version and the beta.

Same situation. 3 Monitors, Nvidia video card and when my screen goes off due to inactivity and I come back I must do a ctrl+alt+del to get my computer back.

Please assist
Old 03-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
terryontech

Default Same Problem and then Some

Problems:
1. Resume from Sleep can crash the system, computer completely locked (essentially BSOD where you can't see the Blue).
2. Sounds from external speakers stops midway through flash videos.
2b. Then eventually sound crashes completely.

I am starting to wonder whether other items in the OS are starting to get corrupted by all the crashes (e.g. Flash).

I am using a Dell XPS 16 with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670. Displaylink device is a Kensington Dock/USB Hub - with Ethernet, sound, USB devices and Display piped through.
DisplayLink Driver Version: 5.3b2
ATI Driver Version: 8.634 (7/29/09)
1 External Monitor. Screen resolutions are different with laptop Monitor at 1920x1080, and external monitor at 1680x 1050. Extended display desktop stretched over the two displays.

I tried updating the driver with the Drivers on Dell's web site which were newer in release date, but older in version 8.631. But above is what I have according to Device Mgr. Problems are especially frustrated by the fact that every day I disconnect the Kensington Dock once computer is in sleep, and resume without dock, then sleep, and reconnect on following day with computer still in sleep. Then once powered on, complete lockup.