Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 04-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
humml1

Default Surface Pro 4 WLAN (wifi) issues

Hello,

when I install the display link driver, my wlan does not work anymore. It shows me the available access points, but it looses the connection to the internet. When I remove display link (using the installation cleaner tool), it works again. I tested it a few times and as soon as I remove display link, the connection works. It also works, if I disconnect the usb3 dock. As soon as I connect (or reinstall the display link driver), the wlan connection gets lost (ping in local network also does not work)

I'm using Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Creators Update and a Dell D3100. I installed latest Firmware updates for the Surface and I tried the latest Display Link Driver (8.2) and a previous one (7.9). I also tried the latest one from dell (http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...k-3100/drivers).

any suggestions?

Thanks and best regards
humml1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hello,

This seems like an adapter priority thing.
Could you please try to reorder your Dell Gigabit Ethernet adapter so its index is higher than your wireless LAN adapter?
Here is how: https://superuser.com/questions/7087.../709231#709231

By default, Windows prefers wired adapters. The DisplayLink driver/installer doesn't change anything in the network stack, it simply adds a USB ethernet adapter. The heavy lifting in on the graphics part.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
humml1

Default didn't work

Hello,

thanks for your reply. I tried to change the priority but it didn't work. The issue is not the local area network (which I don't use), it's the WLAN. When display link driver is installed, then the wlan doesn't work anymore - it shows that it is connected, but it's not possible to ping a website or the router.
I also tried to delete the dell ethernet adapter, so that there is only the WLAN adapter. It also didn't work.

Kind regards,
Armin
Old 04-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
rboerner
Super Moderator

Although referencing a different brand docking station, do any of the suggestions here help?

http://plugable.com/2017/03/17/troub...king-stations/
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
humml1

Default works now

I don't know why, but it works now. Configuration is still the same and the distance between the dock and my surface is still the same. I also still use the same display driver.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Windows will change the "metrics" (=priority) based on link type, quality and others.
That's why putting the Ethernet adapter at a very high metric can ensure it's never tried because it is too costly.
DisplayLink driver does not change priority, altitude, metrics or any other adapter settings: it cannot do that.

There is a MAC address cloning feature which is used for enterprise. Because many companies seem to use MAC address filtering to whitelist their devices, the dock has to pass-through the host MAC address as whitelisting the dock MAC address would allow any device to access the network... and is therefore not desired by network admins.
The driver doesn't change the other adapter MAC address or settings, but it could be worth looking at the MAC address for the two adapters when the issue is present to work out if the system gets confused.
Sometimes the router/routing can be confused when not set properly: if you use the MAC address wired somewhere and then wirelessly but the two networks are not in the same range and the IP address lease hasn't expired, an IP address which doesn't belong can stick.

The logs gathered as explained in the third link of my signature when you have the issue would allow to look at what is taking place.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 04-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
humml1

Thumbs up

I tested it a bit and it seems that it is really the wifi interference. The distance between the surface and the dock was still the same, but today in the morning, I put my coffee cup in between and that fixed it. So tried it a bit and if i move the surface for a few centimeters, then it works or not.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #8
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Interesting.

Are you using 2.4 Ghz or 5 GHz WLAN?
We have observed interference between USB 3.0 signals and 2.4 GHz in the past. 2.4 GHz is also used by quite a few wireless mice and keyboards.

In this case, you could check by testing with a USB 2.0 cable and then use a longer, good quality (so good shielding), USB 3.0 cable to put more distance between the dock and laptop.

Kind regards,
Alban