Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 04-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
richard_f

Default Windows 10 Creators Update can't detect monitor connected via HDMI on a Dell D3100

I have a new Dell Inspiron 7378 that I purchased a Dell USB 3.0 model D3100 docking station for. The drivers from the Dell website wouldn't install, so I downloaded and installed 8.2.1638.0 from displaylink.org and installed that instead. No errors on installation. Ethernet, audio and USB connectors work fine, but when I connect an external monitor via either of the HDMI ports Win 10 can't detect it. When I plug the same monitor into the HDMI port on the laptop itself it's detected immediately and the image replicates to it.

In device manager I noticed that the display drivers for the dock all had errors - failed to load. In reading through the threads here I saw one discussing a USB issue with Win 10 1607 that indicated that you needed to be running Win 10 Creators Update to resolve. I did that update without errors, so I'm now running Win 10 Pro 10.0.15063. If it matters, the Laptop uses the Intel HD Video 620 chipset and the driver is up to date and working.

The good news is that the display drivers for the dock now show as working. The bad news is that Windows still can't detect the external monitor when plugged into the docks HDMI ports. I also do not see a service running for Displaylink Manager, but it does show up as a process in taskman and it runs in my system tray.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the 8.2 driver package with and still can't detect the external monitor. Audio, ethernet and USB ports on the dock still work.

I can continue to run the single external monitor by connect it directly to the laptop and bypassing the dock, but that means I can't add a second external monitor, which was one big reason I got the docking station.

I have attached my log files from the support tool. Any suggestions on what to try next? I am starting to wonder if this is a hardware issue and if I should just get a replacement dock. I bought it from Amazon and am still in the 30 day return window.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WINDOWS-REAA4CF_20170423_141040.zip (1,000.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by richard_f; 04-24-2017 at 02:58 PM.
richard_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
lukasimir

Default Windows 10 Creators Update can't detect monitor connected via HDMI on a Dell D3100

Unfortunately, I have exactly the same issue:

- Dell Dock 3100 connected to a Precision 5510
- running DisplayLink Core Software 8.0 M2 (version 8.0.778.0)
- upgraded to Windows Creator Update (version 1703, build 15063.0)
- USB on Dock 3100 still working
- External monitors on HDMI ports of Dock 3100 not recognized anymore (worked before update)

Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by lukasimir; 04-24-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: forgot title
lukasimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
lukasimir

Default Solved: Windows 10 Creators Update can't detect monitor connected via HDMI on a Dell

Actually, I just seem to have solved the problem by updating DisplayLink to the current version 8.2 M1 (DisplayLink Graphics Driver version 8.2.1646.0).

For some reason the IT department had a reason not to automatically upgrade to the latest DisplayLink driver version. Now I hope they won't complain that I didn't ask them and just did it ...
lukasimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
richard_f

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasimir View Post
Actually, I just seem to have solved the problem by updating DisplayLink to the current version 8.2 M1 (DisplayLink Graphics Driver version 8.2.1646.0).

For some reason the IT department had a reason not to automatically upgrade to the latest DisplayLink driver version. Now I hope they won't complain that I didn't ask them and just did it ...
I downloaded the driver package last Friday, 4/21 so I should have the same software as you. This is from the release notes:

DisplayLink Software Release: External Release Note
Software Package: DisplayLink Graphics
Software Package Version: 8.2.1685.0
Software Package Date: 13th April 2017

DisplayLink Ethernet Driver Version: 8.2.1629.0
DisplayLink Audio Driver Version: 8.2.1638.0

Windows 7 - Windows 10 Build 10586:
- DisplayLink Core Software Version: 8.2.1646.0
- DisplayLink Core Software Date: 10th April 2017
Windows 10 Build 14393 onwards:
- DisplayLink Graphics Driver Version: 8.2.1638.0
- DisplayLink Graphics Driver Date: 10th April 2017

Could the 8.2.1646 you see be the core SW version and not the graphics driver version?
Old 04-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
richard_f

I'm going to assume from the lack of response that this is not a common problem with a known fix.

I've also noticed that while streaming video the ethernet connection randomly drop. The laptop then switches the connection to wifi, which is nice, but it interrupts the video stream. I've deselected enable USB suspension in power management based on some other threads I found here. Time will tell if that will help.

At this point I'm ready to return the dock, even if Amazon hits me with a 15% restocking fee. The question is, what to do next? Can anyone recommend a USB 3 or USB C dock that might be a little more stable? If it's a software issue that may not be much help, unless there's another dock that's using a different chipset or firmware.

I've ordered a little USB 3 hub to at least handle that part of what I wanted the dock for. For the time being I'll just live with one external monitor connected to the laptops HDMI port.

I wish I had known that the USB docks could be this problematic. I might have gone with a business class laptop that had a proprietary dock.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
Wim

Arrow

Hello,
The last post said it was fixed... So I had not looked further.
I will now.
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
richard_f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hello,
The last post said it was fixed... So I had not looked further.
I will now.
Thanks. Can you tell me what dock you're using? Maybe I'll buy one after I return the Dell dock.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #8
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Alright.
This unit is defective. There is one chip in the dock that cannot get the firmware to be updated. It fails authentication. This is hardware fault, this cannot be a driver fault.

Please contact Dell to request a replacement.
Do include a link to this thread for your to skip the have you tried this or this or this steps!

DisplayLink is a semiconductor company, we do not design, manufacture or sell docking stations. This is why I invite you to contact the seller, Dell, to get the hardware support you need.

In the future, if you do not wish to wait, please use technical support tickets (explained where you found the diagnostic tool) instead of relying on forum support.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_f View Post
Thanks. Can you tell me what dock you're using? Maybe I'll buy one after I return the Dell dock.
I have been using a Dell D3100 with dual displays since I joined DisplayLink in September 2015.

Dell doesn't accept mediocrity and would have stopped shipping if the product was not working... They have done that with at least one product using competitive technology.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:12 PM   #10
richard_f

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
I have been using a Dell D3100 with dual displays since I joined DisplayLink in September 2015.

Dell doesn't accept mediocrity and would have stopped shipping if the product was not working... They have done that with at least one product using competitive technology.
Thank you for reviewing the logs and determining that it is a hardware problem. I will probably exchange it through amazon since the process is so much faster and easier with them than with Dell, and I can probably avoid the restocking fee or get it waived if they assess it.

I agree with you about Dell. I run an IT department and manage a lot of Dell servers and laptops. My first PC was from a company called PC Limited, which was what Michael Dell called the company when it was a start up.

I'm glad it's not a software issue because I really want the dock to work.