Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 12-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
luckman212

Default Status???

Does anyone from DisplayLink have any official comments on upcoming fixes for our devices under 10.9/10.10 ? Has Apple responded at all to the bug reports you've filed? Are we all farting into the wind?

I can't believe I am actually considering buying a new 2014 Mac Mini to replace my 2012 one that will actually be SLOWER and crippled with non-upgradeable RAM/HD just so I can use my 3 monitors properly again
luckman212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
dcoulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckman212 View Post
I can't believe I am actually considering buying a new 2014 Mac Mini to replace my 2012 one that will actually be SLOWER and crippled with non-upgradeable RAM/HD just so I can use my 3 monitors properly again
Does the 2014 Mini support three monitors? I know it has two TB2 ports and HDMI, but the specs for it says the GPU only supports two.
dcoulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
luckman212

Hmm I guess I assumed that the mid- or higher-end models with the Iris graphics (2 TB ports + the HDMI) would support 3 screens at 1920x1080 each. But after about 20 minutes of Googling it seems I'm wrong. So there is no good solution for 3 monitors on any Mac Mini running any recent version of the OS. Ugh. I guess I am still somehow holding on to hope that the bug with the drivers will be fixed and the USB3 adapter I have will become usable again.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
fhall1

The new Mac Mini will only support two monitors natively....any more have to be via USB adapter
fhall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #5
dcoulson

Quote:
Ugh. I guess I am still somehow holding on to hope that the bug with the drivers will be fixed and the USB3 adapter I have will become usable again.
I'm still running 10.9.4 on my 2013 Mini and it works fine with the DL adapter. There's enough stuff messed up with 10.10 beyond DL that I'm not upgrading to it yet.

Is there some reason you can't run 10.9?
dcoulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
luckman212

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoulson View Post
Is there some reason you can't run 10.9?
The main reason is that at work they use 10.10 and part of my job is supporting that. So I like to run the same OS at home/work to be able to test & validate things.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #7
saudor

Quote:
The main reason is that at work they use 10.10 and part of my job is supporting that. So I like to run the same OS at home/work to be able to test & validate things.

can't you run 10.10 in a virtual machine for testing only and use 10.9 as your daily driver.
saudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:04 AM   #8
luckman212

Sure I could do that but it complicates things. I'd of course much prefer if the hardware just worked the way it was supposed to!
Old 12-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
dwonger

Default Alternative for 3 monitor Mac Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
The new Mac Mini will only support two monitors natively....any more have to be via USB adapter
I was also looking at the mac mini 2014 to support 3 monitors - it doesn't so the best alternative is to get an Apple TV and you can extend your desktop as a third monitor. I used to use the display link usb devices, but there's just too many issues and bugs with the display link devices. I know they are trying to fix it, but after the Mavericks disaster and they still trying to get Yosemite to work, I just gave up and picked something that just works.

Apple TV is supported by Apple and it's good enough to watch videos without any tearing on the screen. I use it at 1080p resolution and it looks fine when playing streaming video from the internet or videos from iTunes or VLC. The only bad thing is that you need to manually change the audio from Apple TV to the Mac Mini once it connects. It's probably not what you want for playing games, but you probably didn't buy the Mac Mini thinking it can play games well.
dwonger is offline   Reply With Quote