Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release

Old 07-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
cshbell

Default 1.7b2 Drivers DO NOT WORK with Lion

I upgraded my late-2008 unibody MacBook Pro from 10.6.7 to 10.7 (Lion) this morning. I had already installed the 1.7b2 drivers last week, which promised Lion compatibility.

When Lion started up, I could not see the login screen (but could log in by typing in my password and unlock), and once logged in, I could not see the contents of any Finder windows, etc.

So if you haven’t upgraded to Lion yet, DO NOT install the 1.7b2 drivers. I haven’t tried re-installing them yet.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
lgreenberg

Working fine for me on my iMac.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
8collins

Same experience as cshbell. Same model computer. Upgraded to Lion first then installed the DisplayLink driver.

My login screen has completely disappeared!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
BBRAB

Default Same Here Also with MBP 17-inch Early 2009 model

I had the exact same experience with my MBP early 2009 model. Where the login screen should appear, I simply see the gray "linen" screen and a mouse pointer. I did not try typing my password "blind" to see if I could still login in. The only solution was to boot into safe-mode and remove the driver. After doing that, all screens/displays work correctly (I am using a second monitor running off of the mini-display port on the MBP -- the DisplayLink drives a 3rd monitor).
Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
robbertraktoe

I had the same problem, what worked for me was setting the energy saver preference for 'graphics' to 'Higher performance".
Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
BBRAB

UPDATE - robbertraktoe is correct. I turned the energy saver preference for graphics to "Higher Performance", re-installed the driver, rebooted, plugged in my DisplayLink and -- TA-DA!! my third display is now working. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
perrypoint

Default 2011 mbp

The b2 driver *mostly* works with my 2011 MBP with the 1 Gig discrete graphics. However, if I click the new-to-lion link on the right side of the menu bar that has my login name (to go to the login screen), it results in the displaylink screen going blank, the login screen appearing on the primary display, and the pinwheel turning forever with no response from keyboard...basically locked everything up - until I unplug the DisplayLink device from the USB - then all is good again (except I am minus a display of course). Once I log back in, I can plug the display link device in again and everything is happy.

My setup is 2011 MBP, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1Gig, using both an external thunderbolt display AND the Displaylink external display AND the native laptop screen.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
Vinny

Default Early 2011 MBP

Graphics are AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB. Just completed Lion update on my MBP. All is well. Thanks for the driver!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:57 AM   #9
pensak

Default Problems persist

I have a Mac Pro and the drivers do not work for displays 3 and 4. I get an image on them but nothing which is directed to those windows appears. Since I am using Nvidia Fermi boards, I am not offered the same energy use choice which the MacBook Pro's with their dual Nvidia chip offers.

So I agree - the latest driver does not work properly.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
Hart Bezner

Default MBP late 2008

Installed Lion Wednesday morning. All appeared to go remarkably well, but noticed that the USB monitor no longer worked. Downloaded and installed 1.7b2. The system did NOT recover from the required reboot, but hung. Had to recover from a clone of 10.6.8 and re-install Lion. Won't try again until some light is shed on this issue.

Such is life on the bleeding edge ......

PS: It's a late 2008 MBP 5,1 with 8GB of memory. After downloading LION a second time, I deleted 1.7b2 and rebooted. There were still issues. I'm beginning to suspect that the dual GPUs (9400 and 9600) may cause problems. It's also possible that the 8GB memory is too large. LION was brought up with the 9400 GPU. Trying to switch over to the 9600 caused the system to hang - all without the DisplayLink driver.

Would be good to hear from someone with the same MBP model, but with 4MB.

Update, Friday, July 22:

I discovered, after trying many things, that if you run your late 2008 MBP in 9600 mode, all "appears" to be well. DisplayLink seems to function. A double boot may be required after you install 1.7b2.

An interesting thing happened as I was testing. I took a screen shot on the third screen, something that didn't work for me with earlier versions. When I tried to reposition the screen-shot icon, it stuck to the mouse pointer and could not be shaken off. I then "uninstalled" 1.7b2 and things returned to normal. You should be on the lookout for this potential problem. Again it might be confined to the late 2008 MBP - but we'll see ......

Nasty problems surface if you install 1.7b2 while the machine is in 9400 mode. Furthermore, even nastier things happen if, after you get things working in 9600 mode, you attempt to switch back to the 9400 GPU.

¡buena suerte!

Last edited by Hart Bezner; 07-22-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: New insights