Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
dhodgin

Id like to know your secret to getting a replacement under warranty.

I contacted Lenovo and the customer service was horrible. I opened a ticket and they closed it without telling me and when I called back a week later when I didn't hear anything they said they wouldn't warranty it because it was because i didn't install the drivers? What??? i tried every driver there is.

They told me i would have to format my work pc and reinstall the drivers on windows 7 (CHANGE MY OS??!?!) and then if it didn't work they would send me a replacement and then i would have to reformat my computer again and reinstall everything.

Yeah right... like I'm going to do that. Idiots.
dhodgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
JamesH

Hi,

I've sent you a private message.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
dhodgin

Plugged my dock into my machine today to try the 7.3 drivers and all it does is make my laptop screen flicker on an off repeatedly about 2-3 times per second and the external monitor doesn't come on.

Can't try the new drivers and I'm positive now the dock is bad.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
krisha

@dhodgin: I sent it back to my reseller. Lenovo will not provide me support as long as I do not try it on a Lenovo notebook (got this information on phone from Lenovo).
krisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #15
dhodgin

I finally got a replacement and the replacement unit does the exact same thing.

I took the dock home and hooked it up to my home PC desktop and it works no problem so far with the 7.2 M1 drivers on windows 8 with 3 monitors (2 on PC, 1 on dock)

I was able to get the firmware updated on the dock via my PC and then uninstalled everything on my laptop, and ran the clean utility, then reinstalled the latest lenovo drivers with 7.2M1 then installed 7.3M1 and reconnected the dock to my laptop
same problem, laptop screen flashes repeatedly and the external monitor doesn't come on at all.

with just usb and Ethernet plugged into the dock it seems to be stable, as soon as i connect the external monitor DVI cable it flashes the laptop screen repeatedly and doesn't show anything on the external monitor.

it's just connecting and disconnecting the external monitor repeatedly over and over on the laptop. Stable on desktop PC
Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
krisha

I also got my dock back.

Lenovo did a 24hr test and did not face the problem :-(

When I connected the dock it was updating the firmware and except of 1 disconnection during 10 hours I did not face the problem anymore.

While it was at Lenovo I installed a different version of the Intel USB3 drivers for solving another another problem.

Later I installed DisplayLink version 7.3 and this also runs fine so far. (driver in device manager seems to be still 7.2)

So my conclusion so far:
  • Lenovo did something special with the dock
  • there is only 1 working version out of 5 USB3 drivers
  • maybe related to any Nvidia driver
  • operating temperature (before sending back I used it in ~30°C)
Old 07-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
dhodgin

Krisha, can I ask what OS you are using? Sounds like windows 7 if you are changing USB3 drivers. For windows 8 there is only the Microsoft provided driver I think.

I just updated to the NVidia 320.49 released on Jul 1. still no change, same problem.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
krisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgin View Post
Krisha, can I ask what OS you are using? Sounds like windows 7 if you are changing USB3 drivers. For windows 8 there is only the Microsoft provided driver I think.

I just updated to the NVidia 320.49 released on Jul 1. still no change, same problem.
Yes, I'm using Win7 x64 Pro SP1. Currently using Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller 1.0.7.248 (which I got from Asus support to solve another problem). I'm using a Geforce GT 650M, driver version 9.18.13.2049 (320.49). Latest DisplayLink drivers showing 7.2.46733.0.

But... during writing this my screens were flickering again 10 times Only difference is that notebook was in suspend before and room temperature now is ~30°C again. I don't know what's going on

It might be also that just the Lenovo integrated hub is a bad product and it's not really related to displaylink.

edit: I have two LG L226WTQ connected to it.

Last edited by krisha; 07-15-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
krisha

dhodgin, are you using the same external screen on desktop PC and on notebook?

In the meanwhile I did some experiments with cooling spray :-/ unsure if it helps.

I also did some searches on this forum. Seems a lot of people have unsolved problems with flashing/flickering. Can it be that this is related to any LCD controller inside the external monitors?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
krisha

update:

my issue is fixed with a new docking station, so probably was a hw fault.