Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
sumdumguy

Default News on Android?

I know DL has demoed hardware/software for Android at IDF (and then seems to have shown the exact same thing with no further progress after many months at CES). Is there any hope we will see a phone with DL in the next year or thereabouts?
sumdumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 05:48 AM   #2
sumdumguy

Default Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
I know DL has demoed hardware/software for Android at IDF (and then seems to have shown the exact same thing with no further progress after many months at CES). Is there any hope we will see a phone with DL in the next year or thereabouts?
OK, so there is something for Android but it is not much more useful than just screen mirroring directly via MHL. Any idea when we will see multiple monitor support and charging while docked?
sumdumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
peixepalhaco

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
Any idea when we will see multiple monitor support and charging while docked?
I'm also interested in getting an answer for that question.
peixepalhaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Well, to support MHL you need a chip/licence in the phone which you don't need with DisplayLink. You only needs USB, available on pretty much anything.

For the charging, new products are being launched now on USB Type-C with Power Delivery.
It is technically not possible (even forbidden) by the standard to do charging on micro-USB because the phone can EITHER be host OR device (if it supports USB OTG). To charge in non-Type-C, you need to be in device mode and to access a device like a docking station, you must be in host mode.
Also, USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) over Type-C requires dedicated USB-PD circuitry in both the device and the host. Therefore it will never be possible to retrofit USB-PD on existing products which don't have the circuitry.

For multiple monitors, we know it's possible because we have demonstrated it. However it requires changes in the OS to be able to select on which display the app has to be shown. I think you need to flag your interest to the phone manufacturers, as they can do this in their UI. This is definitely not possible from an app only.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
abufrejoval

Default USB-C charging, SentIO, Qi?

Before reading this answer, I was always under the impression that the lack of USB charging support for Android devices was a mere software issue, that would get ironed out, because there was a "currently" somewhere in the text...

How I understand it's a hardware issue, yet SentIO is selling a DisplayLink based solution, that is supposed to offer USB charge...

So I guess, that means it might work with whatever phone/tablet supports "full" USB-C specs, right?

And that might be practically nobody, true?

I have been hunting for a solution which allows me to use my smartphone as a desktop replacement/thin client for many years. Evidently the industry is hell-bent at making that impossible (Microsoft? RU behind this?)

My first Androids actually simply had HDMI ports, but that went "out of fashion" really quick.

Then came MHL and I even bought a docking station for my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, only to notice that this dock was only USB 2 (the Note hat something that physically looked USB 3, but wasn't), no USB Ethernet (required for security) worked with the Samsung ROMs, which also sucked at DPI scaling for external displays, while custom ROMs solved the Ethernet and DPI scaling issues, but lost MHL functionality for lack of an open source driver for the MHL chip (gotcha!).

Got a USB 3 Pluggable DisplayLink Adapter (UGA-4KHDMI) to see if that would provide a solution, and that works kinda nice, even with USB 2 bandwidths, but since the adapter gets hotter than the phone, I'm afraid to leave it connected for more than minutes.

Attempts to connect the Pluggable Adapter via a powered USB 3 hub failed, I guess now because "OTG mode" isn't passed through the hub: I guess needless to say that the Aukey "competition" (where DisplayPort(?) is passed through USB-C connectors) failed, because the "USB-C" connectors on my Snapdragon 820 (LeEco Le Max2) and 835 (OnePlus 5) phones were really just USB 2.0 with a fancy new physical design.

So I guess the current best possible solution involves buying a self powered DisplayLink hub, which at least doesn't drain the phone via USB while I somehow try to keep the phone's battery alive via a Qi charger?

Would Qi disable when I connect a OTG USB device (another "desktop avoidance feature"?)

So why again can I not use an USB Ethernet adapter, which works when connected directly to the phone when I move it to a DisplayLink docking station? What about USB 3 storage?
abufrejoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

You are touching two different parts. What the standard allows and what works!
These are not necessarily identical. Many phones will charge whilst being host.

I wouldn't be concerned about temperature. A device sold has to be qualified and tested.

I'm surprised about the feedback about the hub and OTG cable.
I can plug my OnePlus 3T on a dock using DisplayLink technology and I not only get my external cloned display, I also get the same keyboard and mouse working as I use on Windows 10, without changing any cabling.
I can also mount a USB flash drive via an OTG cable, but I find it quicker to go through WiFi due to the USB 2.0 speed that phone offers.

DisplayPort over Alternate Mode and USB Power Delivery are not standard USB traffic and therefore are not required on a USB-C connector. Only USB is a requirement on a USB-C connector.

In theory, there's nothing blocking Qi charging in parallel to being a USB Host. In practice, I doubt you will find any phone spec telling you about this: Android is just starting to get to terms with using the phone as a primary compute device (what you're trying to do). All that already works out of the box on Chrome OS (our driver is in all Chrome OS images)
The Dash Charge OnePlus offers today doesn't go through USB hubs or adapters. They want to make sure you use their cable which can handle the high current. As far as I know, it is not a standard as they re-purpose a USB 3.0 pin 7 for their cable detection.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote