Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 01-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
mrsrb

Question DisplayLink USB Device: Error 31 (Win10)

Hello:

I'm receiving Error 31 on my DisplayLink USB Devices. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling repeatedly, and I also tried using the DisplayLink cleaner. I've attached the DisplayLink logs for further review.

How often does the issue occur?

This occurs whenever I have a DisplayLink-enabled dock attached to my Dell Inspiron 7779. It has occurred with a Lenovo branded dock and a Dell branded dock.

How do you invoke the issue?

The laptop was new, and DisplayLink worked normally at first. After it was done with all of the Windows Updates, I received a message that the software was removed because it was no longer compatible. Even when I reinstalled drivers from the dock manufacturers and from DisplayLink, I still get error 31.

How do you recover from the issue?

I tried resetting the laptop (recovery mode) but I'm having the same problem.

Was the issue present in older versions of DisplayLink software?

Briefly, before the new laptop was done with initial Windows Updates.

How are you connected to the DisplayLink device? Directly or through a USB hub?

Through a Dell D1000 dock or through a Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RBWIN10_20170130_130640.zip (1.15 MB, 2 views)

Last edited by mrsrb; 01-30-2017 at 10:57 PM.
mrsrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hello,
Thank you for the details. It is helpful.
The problem comes from the OS not loading the driver (that's what Code 31 is supposed to mean as well). Not been flagged yet, until you did.
This is why you see a generic name for the device and that's why I don't have much logs to look at: the driver doesn't start so doesn't write any log.

The message about compatibility is slightly misleading. This migration blocker is voluntary and expected, we worked with Microsoft to remove the old driver architecture but the new driver was silently installed at the same time... So there was nothing to do in theory.
The driver architecture changed between Windows 10 initial (Threshold) and Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Redstone) as we know native support in the OS.

The SetupAPI log for the setup and device installation gives a few elements around access rights issues. Also, you will notice that another device is failing exactly the same way (VID_8087&PID_0AC2 HID Sensor Collection V2 failing on 25th January more than once).

Is your computer IT managed and do they have Windows group policies in place around device driver installation?
I see that only the video diver is not loaded: you get network access through the dock (even if the name of the adapter is unbranded). So I don't think an end point protection software (antivirus) is blocking us. Because it is very early stage, the device you plug wouldn't have any impact: that's linked with the Windows installation, not the type of hardware.

In order to see a bit clearer in the logs (so I can follow the operations you do with what Windows logs as being done), could you please do the following:

1. Disconnect all USB devices from the laptop.
2. Run the cleaner (that will create an entry in the Windows logs and remove all devices from hidden in device manager).
3. Reboot, just in case some files are locked and login waiting a minute for it to complete the startup.
4. Plug only the Dell D1000 without any monitor/TV or any USB device connected to it, just the powered dock (to limit noise in the logs).
5. Windows will fetch the device driver from Windows Update and try to install it.
6. Check the progress of the installation.
7. Gather new logs once the process has either succeeded and failed.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
DANIEL PEARCE

Default I am having similar problems

Hi, Has their been a solution to this yet? I can no longer use any of my external monitors or docking station due to error 31.

I have a StarTech laptop docking point which operates two DisplayLink cards, and I also have another 2 displaylink usb devices as I operate 4 monitors in my office.

All 4 monitors are unable to work on Windows 10 powered machines due to error 31.

I have tried to update the drivers and followed your instructions on this thread but still no joy.

Please can you assist?
DANIEL PEARCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIEL PEARCE View Post
Hi, Has their been a solution to this yet? I can no longer use any of my external monitors or docking station due to error 31.

I have a StarTech laptop docking point which operates two DisplayLink cards, and I also have another 2 displaylink usb devices as I operate 4 monitors in my office.

All 4 monitors are unable to work on Windows 10 powered machines due to error 31.

I have tried to update the drivers and followed your instructions on this thread but still no joy.

Please can you assist?
Hi Daniel,

No. I have not received details to be able to do the debugging. Maybe because the cleaning process solved it or because the OP has not tried yet.

If you could go through the steps I wrote and send the result to me, I will be able to look into it.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 02-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
DANIEL PEARCE

I'm not exactly clued up on how to pull off log info and the steps you described above in the previous persons post have been done.

Is there a way of someone from the company to call me?
DANIEL PEARCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Hello Daniel,

Some simpler step are described in How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution link of my signature.
Telephone support is offered by the manufacturer who designs and distribute the product which in your case is StarTech. Their phone number depends on the country so I'm unable to advise you a number without knowing where you are.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 12-07-2023, 12:39 PM   #7
LFS92

I'm having the same issue on my D3100 dock, I have ethernet, USBs, audio, but no displays! Displays show code 31, everything else is working. Could there be a group policy or registry key causing the drivers to not start?
LFS92 is offline   Reply With Quote