Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 02-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
piroi002

Default anker 3.0 usb docking station error

I have an Anker 3.0 usb docking station. I needed to reinstall Windows 10 since the Intel and Invidia Graphic Cards were not working after the Windows 10 1st anniversary update

After installing the DisplayLink Driver for the docking station on my Windows 10 (version prior to the update) laptop the computer does not restart properly and I need to reset Windows 10 or reinstall Windows 10.

I tried the driver found in the Anker website, and three other drivers from displaylink website. They all gave me the same result. Can anyone help me? Should I revert to Windows 8.1?

My laptop is a Dell insperion 15 3000 series

Last edited by piroi002; 02-14-2017 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
piroi002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hello,

You probably use the very first version of Windows 10 Build 10240.
It has a bug in digital signature verification. It means Windows claims the kernel driver is not signed and Windows starts in the recovery console.
If the driver wasn't signed, it couldn't be on Windows Update and it wouldn't install...

So please update Windows with at least the first security patch and you will be able to install any driver on it. You can't download and install a specific patch, as far as I know, so you can just let Windows Update do it.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
piroi002

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,

You probably use the very first version of Windows 10 Build 10240.
It has a bug in digital signature verification. It means Windows claims the kernel driver is not signed and Windows starts in the recovery console.
If the driver wasn't signed, it couldn't be on Windows Update and it wouldn't install...

So please update Windows with at least the first security patch and you will be able to install any driver on it. You can't download and install a specific patch, as far as I know, so you can just let Windows Update do it.

Kind regards,
Alban
I installed Windows 10 with the patches that Windows Update found. Now it is downloading version 1607. There is no option to download version 1511.

I had a problem with Version 1607 because I could not open the Intel and Nvidea Control Panels and I could not change the default settings of the video card for certain programes and games.

I read something here in this forum that this happened because of a conflict between Display Link, Intel and Invidea drivers. Has this been solved or should I wait and install the displaylink driver now and wait for a month to upgrade Windows 10 till you or Microsoft solve the problem?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

This is how Windows 10 works. You don't choose what you install.
I have not seen a report of that Intel+nVidia control panel on v1607. DisplayLink only has a device driver on v1607. Windows core is interacting with the graphics cards on v1607+, not DisplayLink.
I'm sorry but we are not the source of everything that goes wrong on a computer...

Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
piroi002

Quote:
This is how Windows 10 works. You don't choose what you install.
I have not seen a report of that Intel+nVidia control panel on v1607. DisplayLink only has a device driver on v1607. Windows core is interacting with the graphics cards on v1607+, not DisplayLink.
I'm sorry but we are not the source of everything that goes wrong on a computer...

Unfortunatly I can confirm what I said about the Display Link Driver. After I installed Windows 10 1st Anniversary Update and let Windows make ALL the necessary Windows updates all was working fine, including the Nvidia and Intel Graphic Cards Control Panel.

The last thing I did was to install the Drivers for the Anker found here:-
https://www.anker.com/support/downlo...king%20station

After installation the Control Panels of both Nvidia and Intel Graphic Cards did not work.

I uninstalled the Display Link Driver and everything worked fine again.

I tried the drivers found in your website.

I tried both those of the 25th of October and the latest of the 18th of December. The problem persisted and after deleting the drivers everything worked fine again and both Graphic Cards worked normally.

Regards

Ivan Pirotta

Last edited by piroi002; 02-21-2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 02-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Hello Ivan,

DisplayLink does not compute graphics and it technically cannot work without a working graphics card.

If the third party application does not work, you will need to talk to the author of the application. DisplayLink will not change Intel or NVidia control panel to behave according to the Windows specs. The kernel graphics driver DisplayLink uses on Windows 10 Anniversary Update is from Microsoft themselves.
With hundreds of thousands of daily active users of devices based on DisplayLink technology on Windows 10 Anniversary Update who have enabled windows telemetry, I am not sure how the DisplayLink USB device driver would be able to prevent a graphics card from working.
I'm currently on a Dell XPS15, with Intel+nvida graphics card, on Windows 10 Anniversary Update, using a Dell D3100 docking station to extend displays. Would you please be able to collect logs and explain what you mean by the graphics card not working?

Regards,
Alban

Old 02-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #7
piroi002

Default re Intel and Nvidia Graphic Cards Problem.

Quote:
Hello Ivan,

DisplayLink does not compute graphics and it technically cannot work without a working graphics card.

If the third party application does not work, you will need to talk to the author of the application. DisplayLink will not change Intel or NVidia control panel to behave according to the Windows specs. The kernel graphics driver DisplayLink uses on Windows 10 Anniversary Update is from Microsoft themselves.
With hundreds of thousands of daily active users of devices based on DisplayLink technology on Windows 10 Anniversary Update who have enabled windows telemetry, I am not sure how the DisplayLink USB device driver would be able to prevent a graphics card from working.
I'm currently on a Dell XPS15, with Intel+nvida graphics card, on Windows 10 Anniversary Update, using a Dell D3100 docking station to extend displays. Would you please be able to collect logs and explain what you mean by the graphics card not working?

Regards,
Alban
When I install the Display Link drivers, and restart the computer, the Intel icon disappears from the system tray and the Intel Graphics Card Control Panel disappears from the Windows Control Panel. When I click the Invida icon on the System Tray or from the Windows Control Panel the Invida card gives this error :- "NVIDIA Settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU."

When I uninstall the Display Link Drivers everything turns back to normal. The Intel Icon returns in the System Tray and everything returns back in the Windows Control Panel.

I will send you the logs this evening when I arrive home.

Regards

Ivan
Old 02-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
piroi002

Default re Log File of the Anker USB docking station

I am sending the log file as promised re above errors.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DESKTOP-77459IP_20170223_210511.zip (1.00 MB, 1 views)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #9
piroi002

Default re error

Today I switched the computer and everything is working correctly with the Display Link driver still installed.

Why, I don't know.

Ivan
Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #10
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Thank you for closing the loop Ivan.

If you wish to post the new logs, I could compare to see if something was updated silently.
For instance, I can see you were using the very first Windows 10 Anniversary Update because the build ends with us (10.0.14393.0). There has been updates published every month since September. It is possible that the January patch go installed. It could also be elsewhere as Dell has a few utilities running on Windows 10 Home machines updating everything... As I have one myself at home.

Kind regards,
Alban