Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
monyker

Default EULA in Redstone MSI

I have a different, but related question. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but thought my question is so closely related it may be additional useful info to the OP and/or other forum users. Please let me know if I should submit this as a new topic instead.
I'm a systems/network admin for a smallish organization and use the DisplayLink Windows Installer (.msi) package to deploy the drivers/utility to our Windows clients. I was presented with and agreed to the EULA in the process of downloading the msi package.
Our deployment approach (scripting msiexec) works great to deploy the package silently and no EULA is displayed to the end user. My understanding is this is acceptable/normal as I've accepted the terms of the EULA on behalf of the organization.
I used Orca to inspect the package (DisplayLink_Win10RS1.msi) Property table, hoping to solve an unrelated "problem" and happened to notice the value for the EULA_ACCEPTED property is "no." I was surprised as I had in fact accepted the EULA before downloading. And no EULA is ever presented to the end user, based on my testing. Should I generate a transforms with this property set to 'yes', to ensure our users are never prompted to accept the EULA? Can you offer an explanation?

Nate, I'll admit I find the registration process and email verification for access to the Windows Installer packages something of a nuisance. I for one would appreciate it if DisplayLink would make providing that information and email verification optional or stop asking for it altogether. They could still present a EULA before displaying download links. In either case, instead of bundling DisplayLink drivers/software directly in your package, could your package provide basic instructions for manually downloading the DisplayLink Windows Installer packages to a specific location and have your package continue with DisplayLink installation using the packages downloaded by the systems admin? Not as convenient for the systems admin, but at least they are presented with the EULA. Just a thought.
monyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

I am sorry, I don't get where the issue is. Your end users are not presented with the EULA from your tests when deploying the MSI. They have not accepted the EULA so it's normal. If they download the SETUP.EXE installer from a product CD/USB key, they will get the EULA presented and it is normal. If end users are not allowed to install their own software, then they won't be presented with it. The person responsible for installing the software is the one accepting, nothing exceptional here.
Please don't start hacking packages when they work properly.

Big corporations have required us not to have something downloading something else. The package has to be self contained.

Without information, we have no clue how many workstations are using a package because DisplayLink driver has zero tracker sending back the information to HQ. No information whatsover means absolutely no way to understand if an issue is important or not, so no way to prioritise its resolution properly.
That's why the information is asked for, once.

Regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote