Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #11
imax

I take it out the box, installed the Beta 2 drivers on a MacBook Pro 2011 i7 Quadcore 15" it worked, but not very well. The animation when you switch the spaces is very bad the pictures are to slow. The English word is jerky i think.

Hope that is a driver problem. If not i have no use for this thing.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
abe lincoln in space

I can confirm it does indeed work in Lion now, more or less as well as it did in SL. Unfortunately, being that there is even more global animation in Lion, the DisplayLink driver often slows that down quite a bit. LaunchPad (which I don't like anyway, but still) is particularly strongly influenced.

I've recently been playing around with some software called AirDisplay for iPad. It manages to rely on the Mac's internal GPU for OpenGL. Is there no way to force DisplayLink to do that, too, instead of leaning on the incapable USB hardware?

Last edited by abe lincoln in space; 07-15-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
Carlo
Mac Team

I can't comment on other products, would be interesting to know if they are using OpenGL on the Mac or just on the iPad to aid rendering.

There are some easy ways you can use OpenGL for a product that outputs not using a conventional GPU.
And there are some complicated ways as well that might give both huge risks and rewards.
In the end what counts is the user experience. If you have multiple products you can compare and form an opinion.
In the Lion case you're absolutely right: there are even more full screen animations and we'll have to optimise for them. But compatibility and stability come first! Let us know if you disagree.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #14
abe lincoln in space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
I can't comment on other products, would be interesting to know if they are using OpenGL on the Mac or just on the iPad to aid rendering.

There are some easy ways you can use OpenGL for a product that outputs not using a conventional GPU.
And there are some complicated ways as well that might give both huge risks and rewards.
In the end what counts is the user experience. If you have multiple products you can compare and form an opinion.
In the Lion case you're absolutely right: there are even more full screen animations and we'll have to optimise for them. But compatibility and stability come first! Let us know if you disagree.
I certainly agree that compatibility (which I read to mean "working at all") definitely comes first, but I suppose stability is relative, since the effects of bugs vary widely.

What I will say, and I do not mean this in any way as an insult, given my workflow which requires heavy use of these animations (which cannot be turned off), currently, my DisplayLink device is plainly unusable. I really, really do like having my third monitor, it's excellent for anything to do with reading, but right now, it's just not worth the tradeoffs.

If there's any way at all to get OpenGL working, either through leaning on the System GPU or some other means, it would be extraordinary. I certainly don't demand it, so to speak, because I understand the efforts you guys are putting in, that I'm on a less popular platform, and of course that with Macs in particular, Apple is starting to build in support for three or more monitors in other ways with the current line of products, but your work is nonetheless immensely appreciated.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
displaylinker

Not sure what is causing this, sometimes "DisplayLink Manager" would have 80-100% CPU utilization on my 2010 MacBook Pro 17" model, causing slow down.

To resolve this, I'd have to unplug the displaylink monitor and plug it in again.

Normal? How to prevent?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by displaylinker View Post
Not sure what is causing this, sometimes "DisplayLink Manager" would have 80-100% CPU utilization on my 2010 MacBook Pro 17" model, causing slow down.

To resolve this, I'd have to unplug the displaylink monitor and plug it in again.

Normal? How to prevent?
Unfortunately it's not normal. Could please try to close the running applications, just closing one at a time, in order to find out if it's caused by a specific application? The cpu usage in idle (no screen updates) should be around 0.6%-0.8%. Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
displaylinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianP View Post
Unfortunately it's not normal. Could please try to close the running applications, just closing one at a time, in order to find out if it's caused by a specific application? The cpu usage in idle (no screen updates) should be around 0.6%-0.8%. Thanks
weird, I have closed all running applications, and have no windows/apps on the displaylink monitor, still the CPU usage is 77-82% for displaylinkmanager.

The only way to bring is down again is to unplug and replug it. I will keep monitoring it, anything else I can try in the meantime?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #18
Carlo
Mac Team

Any recurring logs in system.log (use Console to access it)?