Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
thag43c

Default Lion, 1.7b2 on MBP issues

Good day:

I have been running an early 2009 MBP 17" for about a year now with 2 display link adapters on a 3 monitor setup with Snow Leopard, and it has been working very well.

On upgrading to OSX Lion (release version), at first it would not come up at all - it would get stuck with the "linen" background prior to the login screen. Went into safe mode, disabled the driver (1.7b2) then it comes back up.

This computer has 2 video adapters - NVIDIA 9400M and 9600M GT. I saw on another thread that a suggestion was made to force it to run on the 9600M. I did that and now it does come up and appear to work, but then the computer gets unacceptably hot.

For the time being, I have installed a separate Snow Leopard partition and will boot into it during work hours since I really need the 4 display setup.

So my question is if you have a handle on the issue and when an eta for a fix is expected? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Carlo
Mac Team

I'm afraid we cannot fix any 9400M/9600M specific issues: it's a bug in Lion. We have not received a schedule from Apple yet so your help in making them aware of this issue would be appreciated.
We'll continue looking into ways of working around or mitigating these issues where we can.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:17 AM   #3
thag43c

That does not sound very promising. I take it that your developers have already filed a bug report with Apple?

I would be glad to call Apple and add my appeal to the stack of ones that have already been made.

However, just calling them and referencing some nebulous bug with Lion and the 9400M/9600M will probably not get me very far. Do you have a specific bug description or better still a bug tracking number that I can reference?

Thanks for your candor on the matter. It's not what I wanted to hear, but at least I am not anxiously awaiting a fix that may not be forthcoming in the near future. I suppose I will have to stay with Snow Leopard for the time being.

Thanks,
jim
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
tetsuo

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I am too experiencing the same issue. After installing the beta driver on Mac OS Lion and rebooting the system I can no longer see the login screen user selection buttons.
They are still there, and if I manage to hit a user button (icon) blindly and enter the password I can logon.

After uninstalling the driver the logon screen displays as it should.

Will you post an update to this thread when you'll have an outlook from Apple on the fix?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
Carlo
Mac Team

A bugfix schedule from Apple would be something... Different if I may be caustic.
Anyway Jim's right, we should share these issues on the 9400/9600M.
We have bug 9752510 logged about the surfaces that have no rendering (login, FireFox, anything that does not draw its usual contents).
The we have bug 9799620 about mouse/dragging issues.
We have other bugs filed but I'm afraid they concern parts of our architecture that I cannot discuss here.

If you want to report an issue to Apple it's best to describe exactly the behaviour you are seeing and don't forget your system profile.

Cheers,
Carlo
Old 07-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
seanscottusa

Default Just filed a bug with Apple

Trying to help the cause... I filed a bug with Apple. AirDisplay, the iPad/iPhone app is also having problems with the same graphics card(s); my guess is that the two are related.

BTW, if you wan to help by filing a bug report, go to http://bugreport.apple.com.

Last edited by seanscottusa; 07-27-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added location for bug reporting.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
thag43c

Thanks Carlo for your information. So, is the problem I am experiencing specific to the Nvdia 9400/9600 chipsets? Are the other graphic chipsets used by Apple functional? I tried hooking up my son's new Macbook Air to my setup, and it seemed to work just fine. Did not put it through the paces, but for the 15 minutes that I played with it, it seemed to not have any discernible problems.

Thanks,
jim