Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release

Old 07-28-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
bassman78

Arrow Apple Bug Report (Do this!)

I have reported my bug directly with Apple at http://bugreport.apple.com

Below is my text, following Apple's bug reporting protocol. I recommend you adapt it to describe the issues you experience. The more people report it directly to Apple, the faster they will realize the problem and fix it.

Cheers!

Summary:
To use external monitors via USB Display Adapter, Display Link's driver needs to be installed in Lion. Once installing the driver several issues start occurring related to the rendering of video in different apps, the clicking and dragging of files, and the use of the keyboard.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install 1.7 DisplayLink Mac Driver (found on DisplayLink site, here: http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=931)
2. Restart computer after installation
3. All of the problems begin to happen

Expected Results:
a) I drag a file (in finder, or Mail) to wherever I want, release the click, and the file is moved and released there.
b) any website should show all content. such as www.formula1.com.
c) login page should show user icon and field to type password
d) when playing a video in Quicktime, iTunes, or VLC, file should show the moving images, with sound
e) hitting space bar after selecting a file, or right clicking a file and selecting preview, should open a box with a preview of the file
f) when utilizing shortcuts for Mission control, like going from desktop 1 to 3, I should be able to type something in the app on that desktop, whether a browser, text editor app...

Actual Results:
a) drag & drop of files won't unlink from mouse cursor. I click on file, and wherever I go with cursor, the file sticks to it and won't release
b) certain websites in Safari won't show content, just blank page
c) login page for OS X is totally grey (the icons and field for typing in password are there, but one has to guess where it is
d) videos in Quicktime or iTunes will only run audio, video is black
e) quick view (preview, hitting space bar) for any kind of file will not show the preview, just a grey box
f) when utilizing shortcuts for Mission Control (except F3), to go directly to a desktop or to bring up Mission Control (ctrl + arrow up, or ctrl + numbers) will render the keyboard dead. No text input is possible anywhere (although Mission control keyboard shortcuts continue to function).

Regression:
a) pressing ESC and clicking, the file will release and go back to its original position. Putting the computer to sleep and wakening it up again, actually makes the click & drag go away, and it works normally again. Until the computer restarts after a shutdown or reboot.
b) only uninstalling the Display Link driver and restarting the OS will make this go away
c) only uninstalling the Display Link driver and restarting the OS will make this go away
d) only uninstalling the Display Link driver and restarting the OS will make this go away
e) only uninstalling the Display Link driver and restarting the OS will make this go away
f) going to Activity Monitor and quitting the process "Dock", will bring the keyboard back to life and work again. But as soon as I hit another Mission Control shortcut, it'll start all over.

All of the above go away when uninstalling the Display Link driver and restarting the OS.

Notes:
I hear thousands of users are affected by this (anyone who uses external monitors that run via a USB adapter) and that Display Link actually has requested a fix with you guys.
On this forum (http://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38) you can find many users complaining about the bugs.
It seems that this has something to do with bugs in Lion on the 9400/9600M systems. The wrong hardware acceleration path seems to be selected by Lion, causing this. On systems with 9400/9600M graphic cards, Lion is using the wrong rendering path on Display Link's frame buffer: The click and drag, and mission control shortcut thing they haven't figured out yet. But this must be related to the dock process and something else.