Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 07-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
lordsiris

Angry Unable to upgrade to Mavericks+, are there any other hardware options ?

Hello,

I've been waiting on displaylink and apple to get these issues resolved before moving up to Mavericks and soon to Yosemite, but it doesn't look good. I was waiting for Mavericks to come out to give proper multiple monitor support in the OS only for my displaylink adapters to not function properly. I'm tired of waiting.

Are there any other hardware solutions people are using to support 3 monitors that aren't crazy expensive?

BTW, I may soon have 3 displaylink adapters for sale. Maybe I can trade them for skittles or something useful.

Kind regards,

lordsiris

Last edited by lordsiris; 07-15-2014 at 08:01 PM.
lordsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
D43m0n

Hmm, I'm getting less and less interested in DisplayLink. It took roughly a year before I could even use a DL-3XXX device with any Mac. Usage has never been as good as it can be with Windows, although there have been issues with that as well. We're now in version 2.2 of the Mac driver and still there are annoying bugs.

I also have a few colleagues with Linux (a very recent and very popular distro) that still can't use a DL-3xxx device, but nonetheless they're still being sold as compatible with Linux...

If you're on a Mac? If I had to do it over again, I'd choose a Thunderbolt dock instead, they're cheaper now and seam to be working more flawlessly without any special driver.
D43m0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
alphadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by D43m0n View Post
Hmm, I'm getting less and less interested in DisplayLink. It took roughly a year before I could even use a DL-3XXX device with any Mac. Usage has never been as good as it can be with Windows, although there have been issues with that as well. We're now in version 2.2 of the Mac driver and still there are annoying bugs.

I also have a few colleagues with Linux (a very recent and very popular distro) that still can't use a DL-3xxx device, but nonetheless they're still being sold as compatible with Linux...

If you're on a Mac? If I had to do it over again, I'd choose a Thunderbolt dock instead, they're cheaper now and seam to be working more flawlessly without any special driver.
The problem with Thunderbolt is mutli-monitor support. Read reviews before you buy.... many only support certain combinations, and Thunderbolt monitors are way expensive.

I was hoping to switch to Thunderbolt, but if i do I can only use one of my HDMI/DVI monitors. For one monitor, I don't need a dock.
alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
lordsiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by D43m0n View Post
I've looked into the thunderbolt docks but it appears to only maybe support one additional non-thunderbolt display. I'm trying to use 3 hdmi/dvi displays (currently painfully using 2 DL devices) and the single video out from the macbook pro.

Is there nothing else besides the $250+ triplehead item?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
tonyj

Problem with the Triplehead is that each monitor is limited to 1360x768 - see below:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/pr...xm/mac/choice/

For me, that low resolution is unacceptable. I'd much prefer the Displaylink solution *if* it worked under Mavericks.
tonyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
lordsiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyj View Post
Problem with the Triplehead is that each monitor is limited to 1360x768 - see below:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/pr...xm/mac/choice/

For me, that low resolution is unacceptable. I'd much prefer the Displaylink solution *if* it worked under Mavericks.
Thanks for that information, saved me the hassle of purchasing and returning as that resolution would be kinda useless for me as well.

Anyone else with any bright ideas?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
cantera

This page on the Matrix site seems to show a workaround for getting 1280x1024 on the TripleHead2Go: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/gxm/

Can anyone report on whether that setting works when using two external (non-thunderbolt) displays?
cantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
cantera

The other possibility I'm considering is going ahead with the Thunderbolt hub just to get me down to one DL device. It's an expensive way to solve the problem, but still worth it to me. Has anyone tried this config?

In case it matters, I'll be connecting the "second" external to the hub via a TB-to-DVI adapter.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
tonyj

Hi - I'm intrigued - if you're only attaching one monitor to the TB hub, why not attach it directly to the Mac? Or have I missed something? I'd really love a solution!
tonyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
cantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyj View Post
if you're only attaching one monitor to the TB hub, why not attach it directly to the Mac? Or have I missed something?
In my setup, I have four total displays:

1 - the built-in display (MacBook Pro)
2 - one 1920 x 1200 display connected via Thunderbolt (through a DVI adapter)
3 - one DVI display connected via DisplayLink USB
4 - one USB DisplayLink monitor

Like you, the problem that's preventing me from upgrading OSX (currently running Lion) is that I'll likely lose one of the DisplayLink devices or run into issues trying to use both.

So my strategy is to "convert" #3 -- connecting it to a Thunderbolt hub, giving me two total Thunderbolt displays. Doing that would bring me down to one total DisplayLink device, which seems to work fine on all versions of OSX.

It's likely someone has already thought of this, so if anybody sees a flaw in my strategy, I'd appreciate the advice before making the investment.

Tags
unsupported unusable