Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.8 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
mifiguer

Talking iphoto continously crashes after install

So I have the DisplayLink Information Debugging tool and it created a zipfile with info on what happened. Prior to 1.8, it would at least display just couldn't zoom into a single picture. Reboot and disconnecting from USB displaylink adaptors, everything works fine on the default laptop screen. Funny thing is other apps like iMovie comes up without a problem. So, where do I send this zipfile?

Thanks,
Miguel
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (298.8 KB, 798 views)
Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
ChristianP

Thanks Miguel for your report. Could you please post here the iPhoto crash dump? It should be located in you ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/. Thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
mifiguer

Default iphoto crash file

See attached.

Thanks,
Miguel
Attached Files
File Type: zip iPhoto-CrashDump.zip (22.8 KB, 963 views)
Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
ChristianP

Thanks Miguel. It doesn't seems an OpenGL issue as I expected. Anyway just to be sure, have you tried to set the DisplayLink screen as primary, restart iPhoto and see if the problem is still there. Does the crash happen when you start a slideshow? We will try to replicate your issue. Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
mifiguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianP View Post
Thanks Miguel. It doesn't seems an OpenGL issue as I expected. Anyway just to be sure, have you tried to set the DisplayLink screen as primary, restart iPhoto and see if the problem is still there. Does the crash happen when you start a slideshow? We will try to replicate your issue. Thanks
Christian,

I first made sure that iphoto was not trying to run a slideshow (which it was trying to when it crashed by the way), reconnected all 3 monitors and rebooted and iphoto comes up fine until i try to run a slideshow and it does crash. Repeated the same and got it back to just events so at least it comes up and stays running. The only curious behavior is if i want to look at a single picture within an album, it just comes up blank. But as soon as i go back to my primary screen and disconnect the DisplayLink stuff, it works as expected.

Thanks,
Miguel
Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
ChristianP

Thanks Miguel for your detailed report.
Ok, this behaviour sounds more an OpenGL issue.
I didn't get if you tried to set the DisplayLink screen (on which iPhoto is running) as primary. If not, could you please try to set it as primary, close and reopen iPhoto and try the slideshow or try to look at a single picture. It shouldn't crash. Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
mifiguer

Quote:
Thanks Miguel for your detailed report.
Ok, this behaviour sounds more an OpenGL issue.
I didn't get if you tried to set the DisplayLink screen (on which iPhoto is running) as primary. If not, could you please try to set it as primary, close and reopen iPhoto and try the slideshow or try to look at a single picture. It shouldn't crash. Thanks
Interesting, how would i do that on the Mac? Besides my macbook pro's own screen, I have 3 more external monitors and when I go into System Preferences -> Displays, there is no option for setting a primary.

Thanks,
Miguel
Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
ChristianP

When you're in System Preferences -> Displays, select the arrangement tab. You should see the layout of your screens, shown as blue rectangles. Just drag the white bar at the top of the current primary screen to the rectangle representing the screen you want to set it as primary.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
mifiguer

Cool

Quote:
When you're in System Preferences -> Displays, select the arrangement tab. You should see the layout of your screens, shown as blue rectangles. Just drag the white bar at the top of the current primary screen to the rectangle representing the screen you want to set it as primary.
That's what I thought. Well it still crashes in slideshow mode. When not in slideshow mode, i am able to look at my events but when i want to view a single picture within any event, it's just a blank screen. I've attached screenshots. Let me know if there is anyway I can help to debug this including setting up a webex if needed. I really don't want to have to go back to working from just the laptop screen!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Album.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	672   Click image for larger version

Name:	single.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	673  
Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
ChristianP

Ok, thanks Miguel. I double checked, we submitted a bug on this to Apple months ago. They are aware of the problem and we hope that Apple could fix this issue in the next iPhoto updates.