Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.6 Software Release

Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
dschultznet

Unhappy Windows Server 2008

This forum stated that starting Jan 1 Windows Server would be supported. I teach server classes and bought a bunch of IO Gear Displaylink devices to take adavantage of dual displays for the students. The driver was released as beta and stated the Server install block was removed. I installed and it does not work on Windows Server 2008 64bit. Later, in this forum, I read where Server will now be supported in the March release... I figured I will wait again... I kept the external video cards and waited till March. It is now March 28 and it still does not work with Windows Server 2008. What's up? I need help!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Wim

The block on Server editions was removed. Are you saying you are still seeing the block or there are problems once the software is installed? If there are problems on server, can you give some more information, rather than "does not work"?

Thanks

Wim
Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
dschultznet

Unhappy Product is still not compatible with Windows 2008

No I am not seeing the block. As I have stated and attached everything that was asked back on Jan 12, I am still experiencing the EXACT same issues with the latest download on March 30. (see link: http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=604).

I have completely uninstalled your product, cleaned up with the dl_install_clearner.zip, reinstalled... no errors. Product just does not work.. The display properties still show my first monitor and does NOT show the USB monitor.

I have wiped the server completely and reinstalled Windows Server Enterprise 2008 x64 - still nothing. I have done this on 4 different servers and nothing. It simply does not work.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
dschultznet

Default more info

I have this issue with the evga UV Plus+12 and the IO Gear model guc2020dw6 (multiple of both)... Again, no errors... simply does not show up as a secondary monitor in the display properties... these exact USB devices work fine under Windows 7.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Wim

Could you post the debug logs so we can see what the driver is doing on the Windows 7 R2 server? Details of how to do this are here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim
Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
dschultznet

Default Here you go...

Here it is... keep in mind this is Windows Server Enterprise 2008 x64 (NOT R2)

DisplayLinkManager is Started in Services... The IO Gear GUC2020DW6 shows up fine under USB Display Adapters in Device Manager.

I simply do not get the option of a second monitor... there are no controls..
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20110331_161618.zip (518.6 KB, 1056 views)
Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #7
Wim

Thanks for the logs. The problem is not due to Windows 2008 server directly. It is due to the graphics card, which is a ATI ES1000, does not have a WDDM driver installed (Vista/Windows 7 driver model). Its using the XP driver model.

Our software needs to have a WDDM compatible driver installed, which are available for all newer graphics cards. I think the only solution here would be to change the graphics card on the PC to a card that has WDDM drivers. Then the DisplayLink software should work.

Hope that helps

Wim
Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
dschultznet

Angry Will not work?

That is VERY bad... This is the built in graphics card on this server. Most servers have inexpensive cards, so I suspect I will run into this issue a lot! I wish I knew this before I bought so many Displaylink USB cards. Also, if I have to buy additional video cards for the servers then I might as well use the built-in video and the additional purchased video card as my secondary...I would not need the USB video anymore! That was the whole point... And by the way, most servers I deal with have PCI Express x8 and x4 slots.... what video card am I going to put in there? At what cost? (Dell PowerEdge T300). Most video cards are not x8 or x4 and if you do find one they are usually very expensive...

There has to be a solution...