Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Windows 8 Software

Old 08-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
nbasil@axacore.com

Default Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

I am working on issues with the production release of Windows 8. I have tried the Plugable, Targus and SIIG adapters. My system has a built in VGA port that the operating system loads the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". Internally it is the XGI video driver embedded into the SuperMicro motherboard. For some reason, DisplayLink fails to initialize with the built-in video driver.

The DisplayLink software worked fine on Windows 7 64 bit. It just doesn't work on Windows 8 64 bit. The error is "Incompatible Display Driver" when the DisplayLinkManager service starts. I tried both the V6.3M1 and V7B1 drivers. Has anyone been able to get this to work?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
mlukaszek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbasil@axacore.com View Post
The DisplayLink software worked fine on Windows 7 64 bit. It just doesn't work on Windows 8 64 bit. The error is "Incompatible Display Driver" when the DisplayLinkManager service starts. I tried both the V6.3M1 and V7B1 drivers. Has anyone been able to get this to work?
This is because DisplayLink Basic Display Adapter cannot be used as the only graphics driver. DisplayLink driver has to have a proper Win8 driver for your IHV adapter installed to be able to cooperate with it.

Tags
64 bit, basic display adapter, windows 8