Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 03-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
dazey

Default Solved my acceleration/skype issues without physical monitor

OK, so I have what to some may be an interesting solution. Some background:
I have a remote mac mini, it used to run a display over a cat5 extender but this had issues with stability and it only supported USB 1.1 so I couldn't run cameras etc.

I started a migration to a displaylink only solution using the wonderful corning USB3 fibre extender/cable. Initially I was planning on tricking the machine into thinking it still had the same physical display and mirroring this onto displaylink (to get acceleration etc) but mirroring doesnt work on displaylink (or not properly). For a long time I have just survived with non-working skype and actually had a work around of running skype on a vmware PC.

What I eventually worked out is that by using an ipad running duet connected to my displaylink, I can mirror a native dummy display onto the ipad, getting full native support and skype works properly. If I run duet in an extended mode, I get the same skype issues as with displaylink but with mirroring it all works and I get the advantage that the whole machine doesn't try and resync its monitors when I connect and disconnect the ipad.

Might be a solution for some others out there, took me long enough to find this workaround!

(Obviously Skype only works on the ipad monitor, dragging it across to the displaylink causes the video to stall immediately as you would expect)
dazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi dazey,

Apple has fixed many mirror issues in Sierra, have you tried DisplayLink lately?

Regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
dazey

I have but I am on Yosemite so the Sierra changes don't effect me!
dazey is offline   Reply With Quote