Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
ime95mos

Default Nvidia Quadro K1100M

Hi Guys,

I am using the Dell M3800 with the D3100 Dockingstation. Before the anniversary Windows 10 update the nvidia GPU was working on the external monitors. Now it only seem active on the laptop screen. How can this be fixed?

I am working with CAD so I really need the GPU on the external screens connected via HDMI / D3100.

BR
Markus
ime95mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hi Markus,

We rely on the OS to dispatch the compute tasks to whatever it sees fit.
Before it was up to us to do everything so we could do what we wished.
These dual graphics combos have not been trouble free for anyone. I am not sure on how your specific NVidia driver implements the calls so not sure if that's expected or not and if that's fixable in the near term.

Do you have the option to disable the lower end graphics card for the time being?
Can you post the zip of the logs as described in my signature so I can see versions? (see my forum post signature for details).

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #3
ime95mos

I installed the latest nvidia driver but that didn't help. I am wondering if it's related to the application itself(?)
I checked in BIOS if I could turn off the Intel HD 4600 completely, but no luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hi Markus,

We rely on the OS to dispatch the compute tasks to whatever it sees fit.
Before it was up to us to do everything so we could do what we wished.
These dual graphics combos have not been trouble free for anyone. I am not sure on how your specific NVidia driver implements the calls so not sure if that's expected or not and if that's fixable in the near term.

Do you have the option to disable the lower end graphics card for the time being?
Can you post the zip of the logs as described in my signature so I can see versions? (see my forum post signature for details).

Kind regards,
Alban
ime95mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #4
deck123

Exact same issue here (same computer and usage).

This is a CRITICAL regression for anyone who uses their displaylink powered dock and does CAD for a living.
deck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
AlbanRampon

Hello,

Discussion with Microsoft suggests this comes from the application whilst enumerating all display adapters, nVidia looked filtered out.
This was looked at with AutoCAD/AutoDesk as this thread has no information about layout/application being used.

Suggestion would for your to try and get one monitor on the nVidia card to see if that is enough to activate the rendering through the nVidia card.
The way Optimus configuration (Intel, and nVidia) was done before the Anniversary Update can be quite different and it's not appropriate for me to comment/explain what they do under the hood.

Would you please contact your software editor to flag they should not filter out the nVidia adapter even if they don't have physical output connected showing pixels?

Kind regards,
Alban

Last edited by AlbanRampon; 08-30-2016 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Ref 23443
Old 09-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
deck123

This doesn't seem like an individual software issue since right clicking the windows desktop and selecting the Nvidia Control Panel gives the message "You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU" This is before any programs are launched.

I tested connecting the monitors directly to the computer (hdmi and mini displayport) without the dock and the Quadro is then used. I no longer get the above message, and the card is utilized in graphics intensive programs.

My current workaround is using the dock for speakers/usb extension, but I have to plug the monitors into the computer directly
deck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #7
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by deck123 View Post
This doesn't seem like an individual software issue since right clicking the windows desktop and selecting the Nvidia Control Panel gives the message "You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU" This is before any programs are launched.

I tested connecting the monitors directly to the computer (hdmi and mini displayport) without the dock and the Quadro is then used. I no longer get the above message, and the card is utilized in graphics intensive programs.

My current workaround is using the dock for speakers/usb extension, but I have to plug the monitors into the computer directly
Hello Deck,
The notion of not directly connected monitors is new in the anniversary update. If your driver doesn't implement it, then it will not work.
We are song some tests with Skyrim, because the tester looking at it lines to play but more importantly, Skyrim tells which card/driver it will use.
Can you make the Nvidia card the primary? The one that the POST/Bios messages are displayed on?
There are different configurations of dual graphics, even when using the Intel+Nvidia combo.
Kind regards,
Alban

Old 09-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
W10Issues

Default Same issue with Nvidia control panel and Displaylink

I have a similar issue
Anytime I plug in my USB docking station , the nvidia card and Nvidia control panel no longer function.

I have tested this to be the case by deactivating the USB 3.0 adapter under Device Manager/Display Adapters and plugging on monitor directly into the HDMI out port.
Everything works as before. (Nvidia Video and control panel) but not two monitors

Displaylink software showing up under display adapters rather than USB adapters is causing this issue.

I am holding off the W10 anniversary update from all of my work computers so I do not have the same problem
W10Issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #9
AlbanRampon

Quote:
Originally Posted by W10Issues View Post
I have a similar issue
Anytime I plug in my USB docking station , the nvidia card and Nvidia control panel no longer function.

I have tested this to be the case by deactivating the USB 3.0 adapter under Device Manager/Display Adapters and plugging on monitor directly into the HDMI out port.
Everything works as before. (Nvidia Video and control panel) but not two monitors

Displaylink software showing up under display adapters rather than USB adapters is causing this issue.

I am holding off the W10 anniversary update from all of my work computers so I do not have the same problem
Hello,
Would you please provide the zip of the logs as described in my signature?
Knowing how the DisplayLink driver works on this OS version, I don't see how this can be something we can address/cause...
But I'll wait for data before formulating an opinion.
Kind regards,
Alban

Old 09-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #10
W10Issues

Default Displaylink and Nvidia control panel interation

Hello Alban,

Thank you for the help.
I do not have any install errors, just an interaction issue.
I attempted to attach a pdf showing the interaction, but apparently it is too large.

basically if the displaylink adapter is activated, Nvidia control panel will not work. When it is deactivated everything works as expected.

This all happened after the W10 anniversary update.

Thank you
W10Issues is offline   Reply With Quote