Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 04-11-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
kkozy

Default Extensive Lag on Sierra

I am running the most current version of Sierra with the most recent DisplayLInk drivers. I am connecting to 2 monitors using a Plugable 3.0 dock. At one point things worked well, but recently (hard to pinpoint exactly when, I don't use the dock daily) lag developed that has made using another monitor pointless. It is most notable when attempting to watch a video, it is choppy and has substantial pauses. There is also an obvious lag when typing or moving screens (doing anything really).

It looks like, according to the forums, that lag was resolved for most people with the latest updates - is there something I might be missing? Maybe I have a faulty dock and this isn't a DisplayLink issue?
kkozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
paultzirides

Post Displays have separate spaces

Go into System Preferences > Mission Control > "Displays have separate Spaces" > [CHECK]

Make sure that item is checked, it should improve performance dramatically.
paultzirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
ctromp

Default Displays have separate spaces

Having that box checked in Mission Control does not in any way fix the significant lag on Sierra machines. I have a relatively new Macbook Pro running to monitors (Viewsonic) and the lag is unusable at times. Mouse clicks can take as long as 5 seconds to respond. Scrolling web pages or spreadsheets lags. Even grabbing windows or icons on the desktop and trying to grab them can fool you. You think nothing is happening, then all of a sudden the icon or window jumps across the screen.
ctromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
newsdude@gromak.net

Yeah. I already had that box checked on my system. In my case, I went from Yosemite to Sierra over the weekend on a rMBP-15 from mid 2012. Under Yosemite, the DisplayLink display performed fine. Now that I've gone to Sierra, it is significantly slower and laggy. The mouse pointer moves around the screen in jumps, no longer smoothly.
newsdude@gromak.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
oddjones

Default +1 on this unfortunately

Bought the adaptor for my new MBP, tested out at home under yosemite and windows 7 - all seemed brilliant. At work unfortunately (under sierra) the screen is next to useless :-( Do we have any sign or ETA of a fix for this from DisplayLink?
oddjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
hugemittons

Unhappy

yup, I have just setup my MB168B on a MacBook running Sierra 10.12.4 and holy hell it's slow. First of all, the drivers in the v8.0 package did not work they produced a smattering of green and red pixels in the shadow areas. I reverted to the drivers in v7.9 which don't seem to have that problem, now it's just unbearably latent.

It looks like the cursor refreshes only twice per second when moving, watching a video in VLC framerate appears around 15fps. Basically not fit for purpose anymore, waste of money
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8257s.jpg (96.5 KB, 1 views)
hugemittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemittons View Post
yup, I have just setup my MB168B on a MacBook running Sierra 10.12.4 and holy hell it's slow. First of all, the drivers in the v8.0 package did not work they produced a smattering of green and red pixels in the shadow areas. I reverted to the drivers in v7.9 which don't seem to have that problem, now it's just unbearably latent.

It looks like the cursor refreshes only twice per second when moving, watching a video in VLC framerate appears around 15fps. Basically not fit for purpose anymore, waste of money
Hi,

Thank you for the picture. The screen corruption is definitely a signal problem on the monitor. Hardware issue, need to contact the manufacturer.

About the slowness, such slow behaviour at the MB168B resolution is not expected. I'd recommend to use the drivers directly from the DisplayLink website: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/macos

Kind regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #8
hugemittons

Thanks Carlo! That solved both the lag and the pixel issues. Now I seem to have a new problem that I didn't have on the old driver - when in Premiere Pro the video preview areas all now just render black. I made a new thread for it. Cheers
hugemittons is offline   Reply With Quote