Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 03-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
dougmarino

Unhappy Display issues on reboot

Hello all!

By way of introduction, I am a fairly advanced computer user in that I can usually fix things on my laptop, change settings, troubleshoot most issues, but this has me baffled. I have seen similar postings here but nothing exactly on point, so here goes:

I have a Toshiba laptop with an Intel Quad Core i7 processor, Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1, NVIDIA graphics and I am running DisplyLink software via a Toshiba Dynadock U Port Replicator. I only use the built-in monitor and do not believe I would ever hook up an external display on this machine, but I guess you never know. All of the software is up-to-date as of this email.

The problem is, since I installed the software for the port replicator - which included DisplayLink - I noticed that everytime my computer was rebooted, my icons would be moved all over the screen and the cursor would fall off the edge of the display. I noticed that when I would go into screen resolution I had two displays showing at the top of the window and that "Multiple Displays" would be set to "extend these displays." When I returned the Multiple Display setting to "Show Desktop Only on 1" the cursor would function normally and I would then have to manually return my icons to their previous locations, only to have to go through this again the next time I restarted or rebooted. It has been very frustrating. My wife has the computer without the Dynadock and DisplayLink and she does not have this issue.

I originally thought it was a hardware issue so I called Toshiba. They said no and referred me to Microsoft with whom I have been dealing for several weeks and they have had me trying all kinds of things with no relief. I upgraded all of my drivers and I uninstalled and reinstalled the Dynadock software and upgraded all of the software that had updates. I seemed to have narrowed it down to a problem or conflict due to the Multiple Monitor function of your software, because I did not have this problem during the time it was uninstalled and there was no settings available for multiple monitors.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions you could offer. Thank you in advance for your time and kind assistance here!
dougmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Wim

Our software does nothing to move the icons around. We tell Windows we are adding or removing displays and leave it to the OS to move the icons around. This has been a known problem and there were a number of 3rd party apps that would try and restore the icon permissions.

This thread on Toms Hardware might help and has a suggestion of changing the personalisation settings:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...p-icons-moving

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote