Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 03-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
MatsBrorsson

Default Ubuntu 16.04.2 (kernerl 4.8) crash when I attach displaylink device

I followed the instruction when installing the Ubuntu driver but the system crashes when I attach the displaylink device. I get a message that says:

The system is running in low-graphics mode
Your screen, graphics card and input device settings could not be detected correctly . You will need to configure these yourself.

and then when I press OK (mouse has stopped working), another window appears with some options, but irrespective of choice of option, the system eventually crashes.

Help would be greatly appreciated. I am on a Lenovo Y50-70 laptop.

Thanks

Mats
MatsBrorsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
9thDimension

Bump!

Maybe someone from DisplayLink would care to comment? Or simply acknowledge the existence of this bug?
9thDimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
mangojuice

I have the same issue, it was working fine until I upgrade kernel from 4.4 to 4.8.
mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
Oily Wagg

Default Same here

I have the same crash. I have a Dell XPS 15 and the monitor I am attaching is a Dell P1914S. I've installed the Displaylink drivers (plus dkms) and pretty soon after I attach the monitor either using DisplayPort or DVI cables Ubuntu crashes. There is a vga port on the monitor and I will try that but I don't have the right converters at the moment.
Oily Wagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
mlukaszek

Which driver for the built-in graphics cards do you use? Logs would tell us more about your systems.

Cheers,
Michal
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
mlukaszek

Which driver for the built-in graphics cards do you use? Can you attach logs? Note that the driver does not officially support closed-source NVIDIA/AMD drivers, although there are some success stories where people made it work.

Cheers,
Michal
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:57 AM   #7
mangojuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlukaszek View Post
Which driver for the built-in graphics cards do you use? Can you attach logs? Note that the driver does not officially support closed-source NVIDIA/AMD drivers, although there are some success stories where people made it work.

Cheers,
Michal
I am using nouveau driver and stil encounter this issue.

What kind of log do you need? X.org.log?
mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #8
stevedonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily Wagg View Post
I have the same crash. I have a Dell XPS 15 and the monitor I am attaching is a Dell P1914S. I've installed the Displaylink drivers (plus dkms) and pretty soon after I attach the monitor either using DisplayPort or DVI cables Ubuntu crashes. There is a vga port on the monitor and I will try that but I don't have the right converters at the moment.
I thought Display link drivers were only for USB monitors, not display port, or dvi connected? I have 3 dell i7 laptops with video connectory for display port, DVI and Hdmi running Linux Mint 17->18.3 Ubuntu Based 15->16 just plugging in the monitor to either of the ports with out any DisplayLink drivers, works. No special drivers are required that I know of. Am I missing something about DisplayLink?
stevedonato is offline   Reply With Quote