Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.6 Software Release

Old 02-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Blackrock

Default Bad experience in using this Display link software. Need help to choose a stable vers

Hello,

My OS is windows vista Business Service Pack 2.
Graphics card - Nvidia 9500GT
4 GB ram. Quad core Processor. I updated the latest nvidia driver 266.58

My main requirement is to use multiple monitors( I connected around 6). Two from Nvidia card and 4 iball baton USB displaylink.

Often my system crashes with blue screen STOP x7E....

Once I had to reformat the harddisk. Kindly tell me Which version I need to use to eliminate the risk of this blue screen. The display link software recommended by the support here in India is only 5.3.

I read through this forum and downloaded and installed 5.3.25973.. Even then I get this blue screen after working good for few days.

I dont use any games or videos to view.

Kindly suggest which version I should choose to get a reliable experience.

As of now based on my experience in using this software for the past 6 months, it was a horrible experience. this software I personally feel is NOT RELIABLE and not worth the Money.

Am I correct in my conclusion or I need to rethink??

Regards,
Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Pawel

Lightbulb

Please install the latest 5.5M2 driver from this website and see if it helps.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Blackrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
Please install the latest 5.5M2 driver from this website and see if it helps.

Thanks
I did install 5.5M2 first and had blue screen issues. So I scaled down to 5.3.on advice from support here in India.

It was some what stable with 4monitors ( 2 through 9500GT and 2 through USB iball device).

But when I added 2 more monitors with additional 2 usb iball device I got blue screen issues again. Also, the sixth monitor was going blank on and off.

so, I removed the additional two devices (usb iball) and first installed display link software 5.3.25973version and installed nvidia latest version 266.58 for 9500GT after that.

Now with 2 external monitors it is working. But, dont know when one fine morning Blue screen STOP error will surface.

What should I do to add additional 2 monitors as it is advertised that display link will support upto 6 monitors through USB ports?

Last edited by Blackrock; 03-01-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Pawel

Lightbulb

Please download the Windows DisplayLink debug tool from this website, then gather the system information and send the zip file to us. (delete memory.dmp file if the zip file is too large to upload). This would give us more information as to what might be wrong.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 02:36 AM   #5
Blackrock

Hello,

As suggested by you, I updated to version 5.5 and it worked for couple of days. Always, I face the blue screen issue. STOP X7E.

I did reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver afresh and it will start work. But after one or two days it will again fail.

So, it is becoming a repetitive phenomena.. I am attaching the support file for your perusal. kindly let me know any causes that may the reason and the solution if any thereof.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20110316_073857.zip (1.89 MB, 1297 views)
Old 03-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
Blackrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Hello,

As suggested by you, I updated to version 5.5 and it worked for couple of days. Always, I face the blue screen issue. STOP X7E.

I did reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver afresh and it will start work. But after one or two days it will again fail.

So, it is becoming a repetitive phenomena.. I am attaching the support file for your perusal. kindly let me know any causes that may the reason and the solution if any thereof.
Could you find anything useful to identify the cause of the blue screen issue.

Rgds.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Pawel

Lightbulb

Hi Blackrock,

Apologies for the delay. It looks like there are a DisplayLink Graphics version 5.3.26313.0 and DisplayLink Core Software version 5.5.29055.0 installed on your PC. Please remove the above DisplayLink software by following the instructions in this FAQ and install the latest 5.6 driver from this website.

If you'll find the issue to still be there afterwards, then please go to C:\Windows\Minidump\ zip up the files that are in that folder and attach it to this thread for analysis.

Regards
Old 03-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Blackrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel View Post
Hi Blackrock,

Apologies for the delay. It looks like there are a DisplayLink Graphics version 5.3.26313.0 and DisplayLink Core Software version 5.5.29055.0 installed on your PC. Please remove the above DisplayLink software by following the instructions in this FAQ and install the latest 5.6 driver from this website.

If you'll find the issue to still be there afterwards, then please go to C:\Windows\Minidump\ zip up the files that are in that folder and attach it to this thread for analysis.

Regards
I sincerely believe, that may not be the reason for the blue screen issue I face.

That is because, I updated 5.5 through Windows update. Hence the difference. But I think the issue is somewhere else.

I dont want to install a new version 5.6 without getting good feedback that it is pretty stable. Had enough of this trial and error methods.

Let me narrate some of the instances when I get the blue screen after a period of good working without issues.

1. Whenever I view some videos through youtube / web sites in the monitor connected to displaylink USB port, then during next restart I will get blue screen. The solution is, I reinstall Nvidia driver afresh in safe mode and it becomes allright.

2. Windows Repair does not work in such situations to resolve the blue screen issues. It identifies the root cause as BugCheck 07xE(blue screen stop error code) You can figure it out as I am not an expert in such technical issues.

3. Whenever I install a new program / windows updates, then on next restart I get blue screen. The solution is as in step 1.

So, I dont do steps 1 and 3 now. so, it is somewhat stable. Now if you can identify the issue based on my usage , you can suggest some solution.

Rgds.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Wim

Hi

Looking at your minidumps in the zip file you posted, the BSOD is caused by Ph3xib32.sys, which is a Philips Semiconductors Inbox driver from what I can find on the internet.

The BSOD is probably unrelated to DisplayLink and installation of the software is exposing a bug in the Phillips driver. Could you check if there is an updated Phillips driver?

Wim
Old 04-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
Blackrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi

Looking at your minidumps in the zip file you posted, the BSOD is caused by Ph3xib32.sys, which is a Philips Semiconductors Inbox driver from what I can find on the internet.

The BSOD is probably unrelated to DisplayLink and installation of the software is exposing a bug in the Phillips driver. Could you check if there is an updated Phillips driver?

Wim
Thanks Wim for a feedback.. I dont have any Phillips Hardware in my System configuration. Don't know where this file is used.

A Search of my computer also does not list this file(Ph3xib32.sys). I get "No items match your search" answer.

Will try to address your feedback and revert.