Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-31-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
Trekari

Default Win 10 AU, DisplayLink 8.0M3, and Chrome Issue

My system is an i7-4770K, with a GTX 1080 and the latest version of Chrome and Nvidia drivers (and Displaylink).

When my USB monitor is turned on, Netflix.com videos are completely unwatchable, with my CPU frequency spiking to 108% of maximum and experiencing extreme lag/stutter, but only on Chrome.

If I use Microsoft Edge, the videos play without trouble.

However I can fix the problem with Netflix/Chrome entirely, by simply turning off my Touch2 USB monitor. The videos immediately resume without lag or stutter, until I turn the Touch2 back on and the problem immediately returns.

This problem was resolved completely by rolling back to Windows 10 version 1511, but that is no longer an option.
Trekari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
Trekari

This needs to be addressed please. I should not have to keep my Touch2 completely powered down in order to use Chrome and watch Netflix videos.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

On Windows 10 AU, our driver has no way to know if you are using Chrome or Edge. Windows pushes pixels to the driver irrespective of the application being used.
This suggests an issue with the application, as it seems to work flawlessly on Edge.
Which process spikes above 100%?
Can you also post the log files when the issue is visible (as described in the last link of my signature) so I can have a look?

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:36 AM   #4
Trekari

The highest CPU usage I have in processes is Chrome, at approximately 14% peak. No other process uses even 3% of CPU during the issue.

I've attached a diagnostic file taken while Netflix was stuttering like crazy. Hopefully you can find something to pinpoint the issue. I can't stress enough that it stops entirely if I simply power off my Touch2 monitor.

The issue was not present at all prior to Windows 10 AU.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TOWER_20161105_193226.zip (719.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
Trekari

No updates? This is still an ongoing problem.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Roy1548751586545

I will say I am having the same issue. I am using two adapters with Windows 10 and have stuttering and high cpu usage.
Roy1548751586545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:56 PM   #7
Trekari

I've posted my system information/log as you requested, and absolutely no help has been offered.

This problem has not been resolved. Neither you, nor Google seem to give a shit about it. The least you could do is look through the information you specifically asked for, and determine if it is a problem on your end, or if you need to contact Google and cooperate with them on getting this resolved.

Completely ignoring the issue is not something which makes me desire to recommend any Displaylink devices in the future.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
AlbanRampon

Unhappy

Hello,

Thank you for your patience whilst I was on holidays.

We don't have a reproduction at this stage and you are the unique person who reported this Netflix issue until last week when Roy chipped in so I have not been able to have this prioritised before I left... And you have a straight forward way of making it work. This has nothing to do with not caring!

You indicated everything is peachy with Microsoft Edge and I've already stated our driver is not application aware...
I don't understand why you prefer getting angry with having it stutter on Google Chrome rather than having it smooth on Microsoft Edge.
Would you care to explain why you don't use Edge for now to watch films?

Regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #9
Trekari

Because Chrome is the browser I prefer to use. Why should I have to use software I do not care for in order to avoid a problem which should instead be addressed and corrected?

Someone is responsible for this malfunction - either you guys, Google, or Microsoft, and thus far nobody has accepted responsibility or issued a fix. I can't even get someone on the Google product forums to pay attention at all, so the only way I see this getting resolved is if you guys get in touch with Google (or Microsoft) and tell them there's a problem which needs correcting.

I'm upset because this isn't the first time there's been a major issue with my Displaylink device, and it only happened after a forced upgrade from Microsoft to Windows 10 AU, and I'm sick of having hardware/software issues forced upon me and having to sit around and hope that enough people have the issue to where someone cares enough to be bothered to fix it.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:21 PM   #10
Stepinsky

Default did you try the fast way?

Did you read this?
Try the official way. Not all threads are closely monitored.

I understand your anger, but reading this made me laugh:
Quote:
Someone is responsible for this malfunction - either you guys, Google, or Microsoft, and thus far nobody has accepted responsibility or issued a fix. I can't even get someone on the Google product forums to pay attention at all, so the only way I see this getting resolved is if you guys get in touch with Google (or Microsoft) and tell them there's a problem which needs correcting.
Did you really expected an answer or a solution when you posted at the Google product forums? Chrome is for free, so there is no guaranteed support.

Generally speaking, from a project managers view: if there's an issue just a few people are suffering from, there will be no chance that any dev will look at it. Any team has to prioritize, and so you go top down, starting with the most urgent stuff. And if it's possible to easily workaround a certain problem (like using another browser), nobody will give it a high priority.

What makes you so sure, that your problem is related to Google, Microsoft or DisplayLink? Did you already check, if it's a driver conflict with your Nvidia card?
Did you check if it's a common issue with Chrome? Did you search for "netflix stuttering chrome"? There are several links, like this one.
Did you check with "resource monitor" or the "details" view in task manager what's happening? Maybe it's releated to high I/O operations, it could be an issue with overloading the USB bus (that would be an issue with DisplayLink drivers).
Maybe something went wrong with the Win 10 Update?
Did you try disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome?

BTW: I don't have any problems watching videos in Chrome, even when using two different DisplayLink monitors, an integrated Intel graphics and a Nvidia card at the same time.
Stepinsky is offline   Reply With Quote