Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2016, 04:22 AM   #1
kingwilly811

Default Very Slow performance on external monitors

I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro 13inch hooked up to two monitors using a Mediasonic pro dock. Performance with my Macbook is horrific on the external monitors. I also have a dell as a work computer which works perfectly fine. Is there any possible way to improve performance? Has anyone experienced this as well? If so, how did you troubleshoot?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Specs:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Samsung SSD
OS X El Capitan 10.11.16

dock:
Mediasonic SmartDock Pro HV1-U60D2L

Driver:
DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Mac OS X BETA
kingwilly811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
rsmercer

Looking at the specs for the late 2011 MBP 13" 2.4 i5 it looks like it only has USB 2.0 ports. Is that correct? I've never used DisplayLink on a Mac with USB 2.0 but on Windows systems I've found DisplayLink performance is pretty crappy using USB 2.0. If you're using USB 3.0 on your Dell and USB 2.0 on your MBP, that might explain the difference. If that's the problem, I don't know of any solution.
rsmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
Carlo
Mac Team

What rsmercer is mentioning is correct for higher resolutions and bigger screen updates, however our USB3 products are more efficient than the previous generation even on USB2 connections.
So I would expect normal productivity work (moving windows around, scrolling web pages etc.) not to be affected by the USB connection, unless there are electrical problems.

However, in some use cases a significant slow down is expected with the current OS and SW.
What kind of use case is showing the performance degradation? What resolution are you using?

We are currently working on performance so this information would be very useful to us in determining which use cases to address first.

Best regards,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:31 AM   #4
kingwilly811

Thanks for the replies. The screen resolution I am using on my externals is 1920 x 1080 for both. I have used a lower resolution and it helps slightly but very slightly.

A couple example cases would be: dragging windows, animations for closing/opening apps, mouse lag, choppy watching video, and choppy streaming content (crystal clear on same wifi undocked). Honestly though it's pretty much all things. I'd say performance undocked is 2x what I get when docked.
kingwilly811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #5
Carlo
Mac Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwilly811 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The screen resolution I am using on my externals is 1920 x 1080 for both. I have used a lower resolution and it helps slightly but very slightly.

A couple example cases would be: dragging windows, animations for closing/opening apps, mouse lag, choppy watching video, and choppy streaming content (crystal clear on same wifi undocked). Honestly though it's pretty much all things. I'd say performance undocked is 2x what I get when docked.
Thank you for the information,

For just moving windows around at 1080p it may be a bit slow, but not to the point of being annoying.
So there may be something wrong.

To double check can you please see if the CPU usage is OK when nothing is updating?
Connect both screens but without video on them.
Open Activity Monitor and go to the CPU tab. Bring Activity Monitor to the Mac's internal screen, not on DisplayLink screens.

First of all, sort by % CPU to see if there is anything unexpected (like anything >50% CPU).
Then, sort by Process Name and look for DisplayLinkUserAgent and DisplayLinkManager. These should be between 0% and 5% if nothing is updating on the screens.

Let me know if anything is not as expected.

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers,
Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
justme

i can also report very slow window movement.

i'm using 3 eizo ev2455 in this order: 1920x1200,1200x1920,1920x1200

the right most ist connected to a kensington usb3.0 2x video dock.

if i move a window on the display link screen windowserver goes to >95% cpu and displaylinkmanager to >65%.

this is on a end 2014 corei7 mac mini with 16gb memory and macOS 10.12 gm.
justme is offline   Reply With Quote