Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 2.0 release

Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
miller5369

Default 2.0 ALPHA 3 - 1 bug definitely fixed, 6 reproducible bugs remain on my system

Excited to see that you've updated the alpha driver with 2.0a3. It's great that you're supporting this product on Macs and making fixes and optimizing the speed of the driver.

I have a mid-2010 iMac 27" with 3 Dell monitors in portrait mode: a 2709 using onboard ATI Radeon 5750 video and two 2713s using StarTech DisplayPort adapters over USB2 and the new DisplayLink 2.0a3 driver.

I think most of these bugs have all been previously reported, but I thought you'd like to hear what has been fixed and what hasn't on my testing system.

FIXED - The pointer no longer changes to the resize arrow 10 pixels before the top of the screen. Great!

STILL NOT WORKING - A 2560x1440 DisplayPort display when rotated 90/180/270 degrees will not recognize 1440x2560. It maxes out at 1080p or 1200x1600.

STILL NOT WORKING - Wake from sleep doesn't wake up DisplayLink monitors. They show up in Displays > Arrangement but are black. They can be revived by clicking around in the Displays control panel.

STILL NOT WORKING - Pointer becomes invisible intermittently on non-DisplayLink monitor attached to onboard ATI Radeon video. Happens in Safari and hand cursor is visible on rollover states, but pointer is invisible. Can click on primary monitor or DisplayLink monitor to make pointer visible again.

STILL NOT WORKING - Some text in Firefox is horizontally stretched by a pixel or two. Happens in the same place in the Firefox window each time.

STILL NOT WORKING - Snapz Pro causes the screen to stretch horizontally by about 10 pixels when capturing a screen. Happens on all attached DisplayLink monitors, but not on monitors with onboard video. Resulting screenshot is fine though.

STILL NOT WORKING - Safari has lots of flickering on embedded video and HTML5 elements. See www.icloud.com for an example of this. Should be fixed when 10.8.3 is released.

I've attached my system report. If you want me to take a video of any of these issues you aren't previously aware of, just let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DisplayLink Information.zip (216.1 KB, 1368 views)
Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
mlukaszek

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback! Please see my comments wrt some of the issues below.

Quote:
FIXED - The pointer no longer changes to the resize arrow 10 pixels before the top of the screen. Great!
Glad to hear that's fixed.

Quote:
STILL NOT WORKING - A 2560x1440 DisplayPort display when rotated 90/180/270 degrees will not recognize 1440x2560. It maxes out at 1080p or 1200x1600.
Yes, we're aware of that. There's been no fixes to address that, we had a bug opened with Apple to help us address the scenario. It's still possible this will be fixed before the final release.

Quote:
STILL NOT WORKING - Wake from sleep doesn't wake up DisplayLink monitors. They show up in Displays > Arrangement but are black. They can be revived by clicking around in the Displays control panel.
We can reproduce something similar. Can you please check if screens reappear without doing anything if you wait 30s-1min after waking the machine up? This would confirm we're seeing the same problem.

Quote:
STILL NOT WORKING - Pointer becomes invisible intermittently on non-DisplayLink monitor attached to onboard ATI Radeon video. Happens in Safari and hand cursor is visible on rollover states, but pointer is invisible. Can click on primary monitor or DisplayLink monitor to make pointer visible again.
Likely to be OS X or Safari issue. We'll try to reproduce and raise a bug with Apple if confirmed.
Did you see it with any other application?

Quote:
STILL NOT WORKING - Safari has lots of flickering on embedded video and HTML5 elements. See www.icloud.com for an example of this. Should be fixed when 10.8.3 is released.
That's probably caused by the same change in Safari that caused flickering on "new tab" window as well.
Can you try this workaround to see if it helps: quit Safari, then open Terminal.app and type the following:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1
This enables a hidden Debug menu for Safari. Please go there and choose "Use Buffered Windows", quit Safari, restart it and see if it gets any better. This is just a confirmation for us that the problem is the same, it is by no means a suggested workaround

Many thanks,
Michal
Old 02-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
miller5369

Quote:

Yes, we're aware of that. There's been no fixes to address that, we had a bug opened with Apple to help us address the scenario. It's still possible this will be fixed before the final release.

That would be great if it could be fixed before the final release. That's by far the most important reason I bought the new DL-3x00 adapter -- to use 27" displays at their native 1440x2560 in portrait mode.

Quote:

We can reproduce something similar. Can you please check if screens reappear without doing anything if you wait 30s-1min after waking the machine up? This would confirm we're seeing the same problem.

Yes, the screens reappear after 30s-1min with no interaction.

Quote:

Likely to be OS X or Safari issue. We'll try to reproduce and raise a bug with Apple if confirmed. Did you see it with any other application?

So far I've only seen it happen in Safari. When it happens and I switch to Firefox on the same monitor, the pointer is fine. Here's a video of the problem: http://www.idiotsavant.com/DisplayLi...ibleCursor.mp4

Quote:

That's probably caused by the same change in Safari that caused flickering on "new tab" window as well. Can you try this workaround to see if it helps: quit Safari, then open Terminal.app and type the following:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1

This enables a hidden Debug menu for Safari. Please go there and choose "Use Buffered Windows", quit Safari, restart it and see if it gets any better. This is just a confirmation for us that the problem is the same, it is by no means a suggested workaround

Yes, the flickering seems to go away if you Use Buffered Windows.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
miller5369

Quote:

Likely to be OS X or Safari issue. We'll try to reproduce and raise a bug with Apple if confirmed. Did you see it with any other application?

This is most likely a bug with Safari, as it happens when the cursor size is set larger than normal. You can reproduce this by going to the Accessibility control panel, clicking the third tick under Cursor Size between Normal and Large, and then moving the mouse around a site like si.com -- your pointer disappears eventually. I don't think this is a DisplayLink issue.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
wditters

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller5369 View Post

I've attached my system report. If you want me to take a video of any of these issues you aren't previously aware of, just let me know.
The issue still is present in OSX 10.8.3 12D74 (yesterday's release)