Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.4 Software Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Bob Cohen

Default 5.4b1 Results So Far

Installation: Reached a point where the screens went black and nothing happened. Rebooted and everything was OK from then on.

Apps: FlightSim X at least loads now but bombs out just prior to actually beginning the flight.

Resources: Seems to require more CPU than earlier versions. The primary negative here is that that forces the fan on my Sony Z to be on constantly ... and that actually is an issue.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
redviper

My experience has been different. With the 5.2 and 5.3 I had a ton of driver crashes which seem to have been resolved. Running GPU accelerated Firefox on the displaylink monitor is a lot smoother and CPU usage stays well below 5% on a Q6600.

I don't use the 3rd monitor for games though so that might be making a big difference.

The only issue I have had was the installation which was torturous. Many crashes and at one point the driver didn't activate the USB port until I deleted driver and core software, rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted again.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by redviper View Post
The only issue I have had was the installation which was torturous. Many crashes and at one point the driver didn't activate the USB port until I deleted driver and core software, rebooted, reinstalled and rebooted again.
Can you give us more information on the installation problems you had? It would be good to know exactly what went wrong and if it happens again for you. If it does could you follow this FAQ to give us the logging information?

Thanks

Wim
Old 07-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
Bob Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cohen View Post
Installation: Reached a point where the screens went black and nothing happened. Rebooted and everything was OK from then on.

Apps: FlightSim X at least loads now but bombs out just prior to actually beginning the flight.

Resources: Seems to require more CPU than earlier versions. The primary negative here is that that forces the fan on my Sony Z to be on constantly ... and that actually is an issue.
Working OK on my Gateway/HP configuration. Failing miserably on my ViewSonic configuration at the office. This is the first time I've tried the ViewSonics and once in a while they get recognized for a few minutes and then disappear, never to be heard from since.

Are there any known issues with ViewSonics???
Old 07-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
redviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Can you give us more information on the installation problems you had? It would be good to know exactly what went wrong and if it happens again for you. If it does could you follow this FAQ to give us the logging information?

Thanks

Wim
I had the 5.3 driver installed and when I updated it to 5.4 it started an uninstalling the previous driver. It rebooted and during the install process I had a crash. Rebooting didn't re initiate the install process and the USB device stayed off (no light, no signal to monitor).

Just restarting the installer didn't fix it, I had to uninstall the driver, delete the files and reinstall the driver.

I think part of the problem was the crash in the middle of the install which wasn't really the fault of the driver package (I run a lot of beta software and drivers).

I'll do another install later in the week and post the logs.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
spartacus90210

Default Visual Studio 2010

With 5.4b1, Visual Studio 2010 is not displaying properly on the Display Link driven display. However the driver does properly respond to the Windows Undock command now.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
mweber

Thumbs up Congrats, the first working version

I recently bought a DL device and had troubles in playing videos using it. Video started, but stopped or got grey after some seconds. I even wanted to give the device back...
But with 5.4b1 the problems are gone for me! I've not made a stress trest so far, but video is now working. Thanks!

Windows7 pro 64bit
NVidia Geforce GT 330M
Software tested: VLC (video playback) and Resolume (interface on a 3rd screen via DL device, with output video preview)
Old 07-10-2010, 03:08 AM   #8
Bob Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus90210 View Post
With 5.4b1, Visual Studio 2010 is not displaying properly on the Display Link driven display. However the driver does properly respond to the Windows Undock command now.
It works fine for me, except when I'm running GoToMeeting. At that point it's just the outline of the IDE.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
spartacus90210

Default Visual Studio 2010

The problem with Visual studio seems to have been related to an older display link hardware. I got a new display link device and that works great, except for the screen handling after the monitors are blanked.