Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
jaredmny

Unhappy Win8 Lenovo X1 Carbon with USB 3 Dock: Display Artifacts

Hello all. Just received a new Lenovo X1 Carbon Touch running Windows 8. The internal display works great standalone, however when I add their "USB 3 Dock" with external monitors, the monitors have an annoying artifact; It is most noticeable as a subtle flicker in any white portion of a window that seems to occur any time the window is updated or there is CPU activity. It seems to be worst when scrolling black text on a white background. Also very noticeable in any vertical lines in a window, as they will seem to "jump" back and forth horizontally as you scroll. The effect is very distracting. I've tried replacing the USB 3 Dock, but didn't make a difference. I've tried multiple resolutions with both dual and single monitors, but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference, either. I've tried the latest drivers from both the Lenovo and the DisplayLink website, no change. I've tried forcing the USB 3 drivers to an Intel version instead of the Microsoft version as I had read that their might be a problem with the bandwidth available when using the stock version... No change.

I've also had times where a portion of the monitor will get blurry/pixelated for a second, then resolve. The cursor for my wireless mouse (receiver is connected via the dock's USB hub) will occasionally pause and not respond for a couple of seconds.

I've read a comment in another forum from someone experiencing similar symptoms, but the response they got from another use was that this is normal compression artifacts for DisplayLink adapters running over the bandwidth-constrained USB3 interface. However, I find this hard to believe as these artifacts are very visible and I can't imagine most users would find them acceptable.

Further, upon working through Lenovo technical support, they told me that they don't think that the graphics adapter in this laptop is going to be compatible with the USB 3 Dock. Now, this seems like a load of crap, but it was repeated by at least two different technicians. They have advised me to return the laptop and dock and purchase a different product.

I've read through the forum and it seems like other users are occasionally seeing similar behavior, though it is tricky to tell if the symptoms are an exact match.

Any thoughts on whether this is expected behavior or how to resolve?

Thanks!
jaredmny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Wim

We're working on a fix for the blurryness for the next release. We know why it happens.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
jaredmny

Thanks for replying so quickly, Wim! Will this address the white/gray flickering and mouse pauses as well? Those are the big issues for me.

Do you have an estimate as to when the driver will be released or is there a beta program I can join? I'm facing a deadline to return the machine and dock, but I'd like to keep it if I can see a working fix...

Thanks!

-- Jared
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
mskovrinskie

The odd pixellation thing seems to work itself out but a fix would be nice. The mouse lag and pauses is another thing. Is this on the radar for a fix too?
mskovrinskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Wim

I think the mouse pausing is for the same reason as the pixelation... we're working on changes to improve this.

Thanks

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
mikeu41

Default same issue using S230u

so happy to hear this is being worked on. i am experiencing the exact same issues with monitor resolution and the mouse pausing; i'm using the S230u (twist) with the Thinkpad 3.0 dock and win8 64 bit installed.

also have no issues when my monitors and mouse adapter are plugged directly into the laptop.

looking forward to an update as the mouse pausing is highly frustrating.

thanks.
mikeu41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
inagy

I'm using a Samsung Series 9 and an i-Tec USB 3.0 Dock with Win8 x64 and i'm experiencing the same problems. Screen compression artifacts (blockiness, sudden color changes because of this, halting mouse) while moving the mouse or loading a webpage in a full screen Chrome. Please fix this, i don't like to downgrade to Windows 7 just because of this.

If there's any beta drivers available for testing please let us know. I would gladly try them and report for you.
inagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
inagy

As i experienced the Win8 DisplayLink driver currently sends the whole screen and not just the changes as a delta when a screen update occurs. This introduces the artifacts because the USB bus runs out of bandwidth. When this occurs it reduces the image quality to meet the restrictions but for me it seems that this is decided from frame to frame and this is what creates the flashing effect.

My question is: is it possible to override the default picture quality? Maybe a hidden registry key or something like that. I wouldn't mind some image artifacts if they stay constant. At least until the driver fix cames out.

Last edited by inagy; 03-06-2013 at 03:15 PM.
inagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
xijio

I posted another thread on the same issue, I too am willing to help beta test drivers.

Here is the thread I posted w/ my attached diagnostic information:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/sho...ed=1#post68747
xijio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
jaredmny

Thumbs down Missing Posts???

DisplayLink: Where did the three posts go that describe the registry keys that improve the display performance? They were the only thing that has been prescribed so far that improved the symptoms while we wait for a driver fix.

Were these posts deleted without notifying the authors? I know that I, for one, put in a fair amount of effort to try to determine a setting that would help other users. To see that effort wiped out is frustrating, to say the least!