Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
Pazuzu

Angry Graphics and mouse pointer LAG still unresolved!

This subject have been up a number of times in the forum but is still unresolved.

The lenovo usb 3.0 dock hardly worked for me on my brand new lenovo yoga 13 with win 8 and after upgrading to win 8.1 it's even worse. During short times it seems to work but seemingly randomly it starts lagging. Since even the mouse pointer lags, it's actually worse than working through a bad remote desktop connection.

I've patched everything. I've tried lenovo drivers and displaylink drivers. I've updated the intel 4000 graphics. Nothing helps.

After reading through the forum I haven't been able to come to a conclusion but there are a couple of things that needs to be focused on.

1. When ethernet in the dock is used, you get lag. Internet access goes on basically all the time in the background in windows so therefore the random nature of the lagging. When downloading something bigger, everything basically freezes. A number of people have reported this but is hasn't been addressed. This should be a really strong hint about what is going on!

2. The lag totally disappears when using the laptop screen at the same time as the dock (extended desktop) instead of closing the lid and only using the dock connected screen. I don't remember if anyone have noticed this. This should really explain the problem!

3. When some graphics on the screen is changed, for example when a new window is being drawn or elements change in some way, the mouse pointer stutters. It's very common for things to change color with mouseover, for example most buttons in Windows or elements on web pages. But this really only happens over SOME elements. Most elements on web pages experience this problem and especially on web forms, but NOT buttons (html tag <button>). In Windows most elements works fine including the taskbar. This used to be the other way around. This should also really be a hint about what is going on... ESPECIALLY because this problem disappears completely when I open the lid on the laptop. Is some graphics drawn with the GPU and some not? Does it have anything to do with how the graphic buffer is handled by windows? Probably...

I'll be glad to film all this with my cell phone and upload so you can see all these symptoms and more. Though I expect to get paid when things are resolved since I'm clearly doing your job.
Pazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
2. The lag totally disappears when using the laptop screen at the same time as the dock (extended desktop) instead of closing the lid and only using the dock connected screen. I don't remember if anyone have noticed this. This should really explain the problem!
That's interesting and shows that something is happening on this platform in replace mode.

Can you post the logs for the system as described here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Also, if you play a video, does the video go jerky at the same time as the mouse pointer, or is it just the mouse pointer that is jerky?

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Pazuzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Also, if you play a video, does the video go jerky at the same time as the mouse pointer, or is it just the mouse pointer that is jerky?
Where do I post the log file? And I guess you don't need the "display link logging" since no actual error/crash occurs?

Youtube jerks at the exact same time as the mouse pointer does. When something is drawn on the screen (well except for the youtube video itself) the video jerks and the mouse pointer lags. All I'm doing is dragging the mouse pointer back and forth over the toolbar buttons on top of this message box (they turn blue).

Researched some more... if I drag the mouse around where there is nothing changing (nothing under the mouse pointer) the video and the pointer actually also jerks, but less. BUT if I drag the mouse around OUTSIDE the IE/youtube window everything is totally fine. It has to have something to do with how windows draws different elements, windows, animations with GPU/3D-planes...? Aero is enabled but windows aren't transparent since it's win 8 but I guess it's still drawing windows as "textures"? (Not my expertise this)
Old 10-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Wim

You can post the log file here or PM it to me. I'm interested in the machine details and the resolutions and desktop layout of your displays.

Wim
Old 10-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Pazuzu

I sent it to you yesterday in PM. Any news?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Pazuzu

Any news?

The behaviour is totally different if using extended screen och only laptop screen or only secondary screen. And actually different when only one screen is being used but laptop lid open och closed. Just look into it.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Any news?

The behaviour is totally different if using extended screen och only laptop screen or only secondary screen. And actually different when only one screen is being used but laptop lid open och closed. Just look into it.
I've had a look at the logs and don't see any obvious problem. Are you saying this only happens on mirror mode and usually happens when you move over links on a web page?

I assume if it is happening in mirror mode, the jerky mouse is only seen on the DL screen and not both screens?

Wim
Old 11-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Pazuzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Are you saying this only happens on mirror mode and usually happens when you move over links on a web page?

I assume if it is happening in mirror mode, the jerky mouse is only seen on the DL screen and not both screens?
The problem exists only when using "second screen only" - with the lid closed! This is really strange because the laptop screen is turned off anyway. The difference is that when you close the lid, windows makes the "second screen" into the "pc screen".

Works perfectly - no lag:
When screen is extended or mirrored.

And it's not links on web pages, it's most graphics that is being drawn. Scrolling a window, elements on web pages changing color etc. BUT strangely enough some graphic changes does NOT create lag. For example the taskbar buttons, ribbon menu buttons or taskswitch thumbnails. It's like it's affected by graphics that is drawn "the old way".

The problem is also affected by network traffic. When something uses the ethernet everything lags. When downloading something everything basically comes to a stand still.

Basically it doesn't work when windows is using only one screen and that screen is the usb 3.0 dock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X1C-Screen-Select.jpg (5.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
plop28

Hi all

Same Problem here.

I have a Surface Pro with Windows 8.1 on it, and i have a HP 3005 PR docking station for work.

I use the latest DisplayLink Software (7.4M2)

On my docking station i have two screens connected, one with a cable HDMI/DVI and the other with a DisplayPort/DVI.

At work i don't use the surface screen.

Mouse Lag are noticeable particularly with my browser (Chrome) and less with windows in general.
plop28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Pazuzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by plop28 View Post
On my docking station i have two screens connected, one with a cable HDMI/DVI and the other with a DisplayPort/DVI.

At work i don't use the surface screen.

Mouse Lag are noticeable particularly with my browser (Chrome) and less with windows in general.
Is it only the mouse pointer or actually graphics in general? I think the mouse pointer is just experiencing the same effect.

Can you confirm that it behaves differently if the laptop screen is used in conjunction with the dock-connected screen[s] (win+P is good to play around with).

Can you confirm that when ethernet through the dock is being used the lag gets worse?