Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED - Windows 10 Software

Old 08-01-2015, 12:29 AM   #1
cgdynamic

Exclamation Display link software causing TaskBar (Start,Cortana,edge) to crash

Hello All,
I have just updated to windows 10 (Release version). after updating windows I installed the display link updated drivers (v7.9MO) after restarting my machine
It causes the Start menu, Cortana(search) Explorer(Edge) to crash With the following information in event viewer.

(Edge)
Activation of app Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdg e failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

(Cortana)
Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

(Start - Shell)
Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyew y!App failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

I then did a complete uninstall of the display link drivers. Restarted. Then the Taskbar started to work correctly.

I attempted to run the installer in compatibility mode. and ran into the same issues again.

I have checked the display link services. (Running)
I had no Issues during Install.
Machine has been fully updated. with compatible drivers for all components.

I am running A Dell precision M4700
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Updated)
NVIDIA Quadro K2000M (Updated)
16 GB Memory
500 GB SSD
1 TB HHD
i7 PROCESSOR

running a total of 4 Monitors
Laptop Monitor
and 3 Pavilion 25xi's (only one uses the display link adapter)

Everything that I have tried has failed.
When the display link drivers are installed. all the monitors work. but the taskbar items crash (listed above).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times each time with the same results. (Yes, I'm insane)

Please Help!

Last edited by cgdynamic; 08-01-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
proels

Default Same problem

This is exactly my problem. The software simply doesn't work with windows 10 and needs to be fixed. It crashes windows 10.

This is difficult to troubleshoot one installed because certain features of the operating system crash like the start menu and search/cortana. I have followed all of the instructions and repeated attempts multiple times like the op.

There are also posts in the "windows software" section of the forums describing the same problems. see the post : Windows 10 kernal failure
Old 08-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
JamesH

@cgdynamic

Hi,

Could you try these steps for me?
1. Disconnect your device
2. Uninstall DisplayLink software from the Control Panel
3. Run the DisplayLink Cleaner tool from here: http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...rticles/533821
4. Install the latest DisplayLink software from here: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/index.php
5. Reconnect your device
6. Try and launch the apps that were crashing

If they are still crashing please attach the output from this tool:
http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...rticles/533818

Thanks,
James
Old 08-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
JamesH

@proels

Hi,

Could you also run through the above steps?

Thanks,
James
Old 08-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #5
Michael.A.Alan

I'm also experiencing this issue. Same failure to activate because of failed remote procedure calls on 'Modern' UI elements. If i boot my laptop with the display link device connected none of the modern UI stuff works. Interestingly if i boot without the device connected, everything works and will continue to work after i connect the display link device. However this applies to each app individually, i.e. launching one modern UI element before connecting doesn't ensure all of them work later, only the one i launched.

E.g.: I boot laptop without dock, open start menu, plug in dock, i can now open the start menu with the dock connected. However the mail app, the notification shade, and everything else will still fail to open if i hadn't opened them before connecting. It appears only things loaded before the displaylink device was connected will continue to function after.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #6
Michael.A.Alan

Just out of curiosity are either of you running a system with optimus?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:29 AM   #7
lokinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
@cgdynamic

Hi,

Could you try these steps for me?
1. Disconnect your device
2. Uninstall DisplayLink software from the Control Panel
3. Run the DisplayLink Cleaner tool from here: http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...rticles/533821
4. Install the latest DisplayLink software from here: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/index.php
5. Reconnect your device
6. Try and launch the apps that were crashing

If they are still crashing please attach the output from this tool:
http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...rticles/533818

Thanks,
James
Hi James,

Thanks for the suggestions. I followed this procedure and Windows 10 Start menu etc are still not functional - they function between uninstalling the driver and reinstall.

Attached is the output from the support tool.

Thanks for looking into this.

-Logan
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20150806_142122.zip (548.6 KB, 3241 views)
Old 08-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
proels

Default reply

Thank you for the response, I have done all the steps. I have also contacted Plugable support who sells my adapter.

In my case the issue occurs on a laptop running dual graphics. The Display link driver works fine when the laptop only uses integrated graphics. But problems occur when the NVidia driver is also active. I am using all the latest drivers. Plugable suggested that drivers would likely be updated in the near future that may resolve the conflict, thanks.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #9
Michael.A.Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.A.Alan View Post
Just out of curiosity are either of you running a system with optimus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by proels View Post
In my case the issue occurs on a laptop running dual graphics.
Yup, seems like there's a good chance this is it. Hopefully the Display Link devs have already figured this out.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
qwantz

I've got this problem too. It's a Lenovo W541 (so two display adapters) and upon boot all Modern UI apps fail, with the RPC failing in the Event Log. It goes away when I uninstall the Displaylink drivers.

A fix for this would be great, because not being able to use the Start menu is sort of a big deal.